Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org> on 2018/08/18 00:51:03 UTC

Release policy updates

Peter, Anton V, Igniters,

The board communicated the following release policy changes:
  -- for new releases :
     -- you MUST supply a SHA-256 and/or SHA-512 file
     -- you SHOULD NOT supply MD5 or SHA-1 files

Are we good? More details are below.

*2 Release Dist Policy Changes  (Q? users@infra.apache.org)

The Release Distribution Policy[1] changed regarding checksum files.
See under "Cryptographic Signatures and Checksums Requirements" [2].

Note that "MUST", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT" are technical terms ;
not just emphasized words ; for an explanation see RFC-2119 [3].

Old policy :

  -- SHOULD supply a SHA checksum file
  -- SHOULD NOT supply a MD5 checksum file

New policy :

  -- SHOULD supply a SHA-256 and/or SHA-512 checksum file
  -- SHOULD NOT supply MD5 or SHA-1 checksum files

Why this change ?

  -- Like MD5, SHA-1 is too broken ; we should move away from it.

Impact for PMCs :

  -- for new releases :
     -- you MUST supply a SHA-256 and/or SHA-512 file
     -- you SHOULD NOT supply MD5 or SHA-1 files

  -- for past releases :
     -- you are not required to change anything ;
     -- it would be nice if you fixed your dist area ;
        start with : cleanup ; rename .sha's ; remove .md5's

Re: Release policy updates

Posted by Anton Vinogradov <av...@apache.org>.
Issue [1] created.

Re: Release policy updates