Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Paul MERLIN <pa...@nosphere.org> on 2007/10/08 15:21:58 UTC

About classpathPrefix flexibility [was: Re: Generating manifest file]

Le Tuesday 25 September 2007 17:20:01 Tim Kettler, vous avez écrit :
> This will do:
>
>    <plugin>
>       <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>       <artifactId>maven-ejb-plugin</artifactId>
>       <configuration>
>         <archive>
>           <manifest>
>             <addClasspath>true</addClasspath>
>             <classpathPrefix>lib</classpathPrefix>
>           </manifest>
>         </archive>
>       </configuration>
>     </plugin>
>
> -Tim
Hi all,

I'm using the pom snippet shown above but I would like to have some
dependencies prefixed and some others not.

Is this doable with maven or will I have to write the MANIFEST.MF file
myself ?

Regards

Paul

Re: About classpathPrefix flexibility [was: Re: Generating manifest file]

Posted by Tim Kettler <ti...@udo.edu>.
Hi,

I can't give you the definitive answer but the maven-jar-plugin [1], the
maven archiver [2] and the plexus archiver [3] are places to look at.

-Tim

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/plugins/trunk/maven-jar-plugin/
[2] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/shared/trunk/maven-archiver/

[3] http://svn.codehaus.org/plexus/plexus-components/trunk/plexus-archiver/

Posted by Paul MERLIN <pa...@nosphere.org>.

Posted by Paul Merlin <pa...@nosphere.org>.
Hi Wendy,

Le DATE, vous avez peut-être écrit : Wendy Smoak
> On 10/8/07, Paul MERLIN <pa...@nosphere.org> wrote:
>>
>> I'm using the pom snippet shown above but I would like to have some
>> dependencies prefixed and some others not.
>
> Why?  I'm curious because someone at work also wants to do this, and I
> don't see what would be gained by it.
>
> Does it have anything to do with WebSphere or WSAD?  (That's what this
> team is using, and I'm trying to sort out what things they really
> *need* vs. what they're trying to do just because that's the way WSAD
> has always done it.)

In fact it does have to do with JEE packaging. I do not use WebSphere or
WSAD but Glassfish.

When you package a JEE application (ear packaging) the ClassPath set in
the MANIFEST.MF file is important, so the packaging layout is.

EJB or WAR modules have to be at the EAR's root. The "lib/" subdirectory
contains librairies.

You can have a module (EJB-JAR, WAR, RAR) that needs some JARs from the
lib/ directory _and_ some others from the EAR's root.

The EAR plugin lets you arrange files easily but managing MANIFEST.MF
files when there's several modules in you application is a tedious task.

Here comes my question ;)

>> Is this doable with maven or will I have to write the MANIFEST.MF file
>> myself ?
>
> At the moment I think you'll have to maintain the MANIFEST.MF file
> manually, but I'd love to hear otherwise...

I built them manually today because we need to keep coding/testing. As our
application packaging will not evolve the sooner, I'll check back on this
issue later. It's in my inbox :)

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

--
Wendy

Re: About classpathPrefix flexibility [was: Re: Generating manifest file]

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.