Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by ro...@xemaps.com on 2012/05/08 16:52:52 UTC

using SSL cert

Hello,

So I can't seem to figure out how to get our SSL cert working on James so I was hoping someone could help me out?

I generated an RSA 2048 private key and certificate request using openssl.  I've read on googles that this is probably where I originally went wrong as some people claim that if you do not use a java keystore from the beginning to generate the request then its never going to work.

Anyway I got my certificate from entrust which has a chain cert and a root cert.  I went through their instructions (and others) and imported the root cert and then the chain cert and then finally our cert.  Attempting to use the cert gives me a "no cipher suites in common" error.

Doing research on this I find out that I need the private key in the keystore since I did not generate the request from keytool with a keystore orginally.  So I tried with the keystore I already had as well as a keystore from scratch.  When I do this I see SSL communication but it looks like its referencing some default self-signed cert I created for testing or someone had added to the default java keystore?  The instructions I used I found here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/906402/importing-an-existing-x509-certificate-and-private-key-in-java-keystore-to-use-i

Was hoping to avoid re-doing the cert.  Does anybody have experience with setting up SSL?

Regards,
Roy

Re: using SSL cert

Posted by dgarvey <dg...@collab.net>.
You can test your root CA and intermediate CA by using this command.

Put your CA's into this file /tmp/ca.crt and test. It should return
verified (0) if your server is setup correctly. Then just import the
/tmp/ca.crt into your client cacerts truststore.

openssl s_client -connect localhost:443 -state -debug -CAfile /tmp/ca.crt

Re: using SSL cert

Posted by dgarvey <dg...@collab.net>.
The clients need the CA and/or intermediate CA(root cert) if not already
there in the trust-store ie (cacerts). If self-sign, then you need a
private CA that signs "self-signed" cert.

http://www.flatmtn.com/article/setting-openssl-create-certificates

Re: using SSL cert

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Hi Roy,

Did you read http://james.apache.org/server/3/config-ssl-tls.html ?

(it's quite basic and may contain inaccuracies, that's a work in
progress, especially behavior or may change on different JDK versions).

Thx,
Ăˆric

Re: using SSL cert

Posted by dgarvey <dg...@collab.net>.

Re: using SSL cert

Posted by dgarvey <dg...@collab.net>.
Roy,

Given the error "no cipher suites in common". I would guess that you
client and server can't agree on a cipher to use. Check you
configuration. The server and client must agree on a common cipher
before encryption/decryption can take place.

Re: using SSL cert

Posted by Young Gu <hy...@gmail.com>.