Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by spyle376 <sp...@ldschurch.org> on 2018/12/06 15:04:34 UTC

Default Behavior for Colocated Backup Restart

What is the expected behavior of a colocated backup when its host broker is
stopped and started?

Currently I have Broker1 and Broker2 backed up by Backup1 and Backup2 which
are colocated on the opposite broker.
Something like this:

Broker 1            Broker 2
     |                        |
     |                        |
Backup 2          Backup 1

If I shut down Broker2 my Backup2 goes active just fine, and when Broker2
comes back up Backup2 will go inactive as expected.

However when Broker2 comes back up Backup1 is gone. I understand that
Broker1 won't attempt to build another backup to avoid a split brain problem
in the event of network isolation, but I would expect the colocated backup
to come back when Broker2 comes back online.

I'm not sure if I have something misconfigured or if Artemis doesn't support
persistent colocated backups currently.

I've seen a couple similar questions asked but no real answers given, the
closest being  ARTEMIS-2165
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARTEMIS-2165>

For reference my HA policy is below, any help or pointers would be greatly
appreciated.

      <ha-policy>
         <replication>
            <colocated>
               <backup-port-offset>100</backup-port-offset>
               <backup-request-retries>-1</backup-request-retries>

<backup-request-retry-interval>2000</backup-request-retry-interval>
               <max-backups>1</max-backups>
               <request-backup>true</request-backup>
               <master>
                  <check-for-live-server>true</check-for-live-server>
               </master>
               <slave>
                  <allow-failback>true</allow-failback>
                  <restart-backup>false</restart-backup>