Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Shawn Feldman <sh...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/06 19:15:03 UTC

dynamic fields during segment merge

When solr is merging segments of the tlog what impact do dynamic fields
have?  If i have 1k dynamic fields do i pay the cost on every merge or only
if the documents have those fields?

-shawn

Re: dynamic fields during segment merge

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Merging has nothing to do with tlogs. Tlogs are simply the last N
(configurable) raw documents to be used for certain index recovery
operations.

Dynamic fields are no different from static fields. In either case the
first time a document is encountered with a field that matches, the
same mechanisms take over so I'm not sure what "cost" you're talking
about here....

There are costs associated with having 1,000 fields, but whether
they're dynamic or static fields doesn't matter.

Best,
Erick