Posted to general@attic.apache.org by Stephan Classen <sc...@apache.org> on 2017/09/17 22:25:45 UTC

Forking Apache Onami Persist

Hi Attic Team

I'm one of the original authors of the Apache Onami Persist subproject.
I would like to fork it and continue development on github outside of
the ASF.

I mainly have two questions:

- will you link forks for sub-projects?

- The second question is more of a legal issue. Currently all files
contain a header stating that the file is licensed to the Apache
Software Foundation. I am not sure how I should handle these headers.
Because if I (and maybe others) continue development outside of the ASF
the code will somehow no longer be licensed to the ASF. So should I
replace the existing headers or would that violate somethings. I will
stick with the Apache License Version 2.0. So I do not plan on changing
the license only the body to whom it is licensed.

If you are unsure about the second question maybe you can direct me to
somebody who may be better suited to answer the question.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer this.

Regards
Stephan

Re: Forking Apache Onami Persist

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 3:25 PM, Stephan Classen <sc...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Hi Attic Team
>
> I'm one of the original authors of the Apache Onami Persist subproject. I
> would like to fork it and continue development on github outside of the ASF.
>
> I mainly have two questions:
>
> - will you link forks for sub-projects?

Yes. Could you suggest a paragraph to put at the bottom of the Attic page?

> - The second question is more of a legal issue. Currently all files
> contain a header stating that the file is licensed to the Apache Software
> Foundation. I am not sure how I should handle these headers. Because if I
> (and maybe others) continue development outside of the ASF the code will
> somehow no longer be licensed to the ASF. So should I replace the existing
> headers or would that violate somethings. I will stick with the Apache
> License Version 2.0. So I do not plan on changing the license only the body
> to whom it is licensed.

You shouldn't remove the header. In your situation, I would do something
like this:

1) Add your own src header regarding the licensing you choose at the top.
2) Add:  "Code originally from Apache Onami Persist. Original source header
follows:  "
3) The previous source header.

Useful somewhere in the packaging to identify the exact git/svn or source
tarball revision that you forked from. Perhaps you could add that to the
NOTICE file. You'll need to do the same type of thing as the above for the
NOTICE file btw. Not remove existing text, add your own as wanted.