Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Philip Prindeville <ph...@redfish-solutions.com> on 2006/03/18 22:00:45 UTC

Message to list rejected because it's too spamful!

Grrr...  Can we enable whitelisting for list members?

The original message was received at Sat, 18 Mar 2006 13:57:43 -0700
from media.redfish-solutions.com [192.168.1.5]

<us...@spamassassin.apache.org>
    (reason: 552 spam score (12.2) exceeded threshold)

... while talking to asf.osuosl.org.:

<<< 552 spam score (12.2) exceeded threshold
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

The whole point is to share information about identifying spam,
right?  How to do that when the messages themselves get flagged?

-Philip

Re: Message to list rejected because it's too spamful!

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Philip Prindeville" <ph...@redfish-solutions.com>

> Theo Van Dinter wrote:

>>>Read the archives, in short, no, because it's a blanket server that covers ALL
>>>ASF email, not just this list.
>>>

>>Generally, instead of posting spam examples here (which is discouraged
>>anyway: http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/DoYouWantMySpam), you could
>>post it up on the web somewhere (http://sial.org/pbot/spamassassin/
>>for instance) and then point to it from your mail.
>>
>>:)
>>

> Actually, I *didn't* post spam.  I put it on Pastebin, and sent a
> link....  I did
> however include some excerpts from the spam inline...  And apparently it
> caused the triggers...  I'll send the message as a bounce to you and Matt
> out-of-band.

I very seldom bother to post spam samples, including some rather clever
innovative tricks. Your approach violates the 20 second half of The Rule.

{^_^}

Re: Message to list rejected because it's too spamful!

Posted by Philip Prindeville <ph...@redfish-solutions.com>.

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
Captain!  Someone has snorted all the dilithium crystals.

Re: Message to list rejected because it's too spamful!

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 02:41:46PM -0700, Philip Prindeville wrote:

> And there's no way to get the admin on that system to tweak the local rules?

As Matt stated earlier, this has already been covered before on the list
(search the archives for more info).  There's no point in rehashing
everything again.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
We are Pentium of Borg. Division is futile. You will be approximated.

Re: Message to list rejected because it's too spamful!

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Philip Prindeville wrote:

>> you can do that and more, but you'll first need to crack the ASF servers ;-p
>>

> And there's no way to get the admin on that system to tweak the local rules?

Erm.. No... Remember, this is a COMMON server that serves the lists for many, if
not ALL ASF projects. Spamassassin is a tiny speck in the corner of the ASF
universe.

Prior to being an ASF project, SA was hosted on sourceforge.net. SourceForge
didn't give any of the SA team administrative access to their global mailserver
config, why should the ASF? Just because Theo, Justin, Dan, etc volunteer on on
small ASF project doesn't mean they should have administrative rights to the
ASF's mail systems, allowing them to make changes that affect many projects
beyond their own.

The other side is you could ask an ASF admin to change some things, but
generally they have bigger fish to fry like keeping the FTP mirrors up and
running smoothly.

Again, Read the Fine Archives. This has ALL been discussed before.

Re: Message to list rejected because it's too spamful!

Posted by Philip Prindeville <ph...@redfish-solutions.com>.

Posted by mouss <us...@free.fr>.

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>

> On 3/18/2006 10:34 PM, jdow wrote:
>> From: "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>

>>> I'm pretty sure SpamAssassin already has a similar feature.  I think
>>> it's called whitelist_to.  :)
>>

>> man Mail::Spamassassin::Conf
>>
>> Doesn't show it unless I scanned too fast. Which I did. So consider it
>> a wry comment about the spam scanning at Apache.org. One would THINK they
>> would be consuming their own coffee and using SpamAssassin, wouldn't one?
>> So there is no THEORETICAL reason they cannot allow spam to the SA list
>> or simply spammy message portions for "whyinelldidthisgetthrough?"
>
> Sure there is.  Any spam that is accepted gets sent to the list
> moderators, who I would assume (theoretically) would rather not have it.

THAT begs for a whole host of smart<oops> replies and observations I
think I will leave for others to make or assume.

> In any case, paste bot, etc., works fine, if not better.

20 seconds out of the way - it ain't worth it. Data lost until someone
else complains. I just build a rule and go on my way. Sometimes the rule
works well, sometimes not. By the time I know which it is the SARE crew
has rules for it.

But if I catch a problem in SpamAssassin I do like to let folks know,
such as that bug in the special code for QMAIL headers that came up a
little bit ago. Broach it here first to see if others have experience
with the bug then BZ it, if I can survive the GUI from Hades itself.

{o.o}    <- opinionated as ever. {^_-}

Re: Message to list rejected because it's too spamful!

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>

> On 3/18/2006 9:03 PM, jdow wrote:
>> Yah know, that does suggest there should be a "whitelist_to" option for
>> those who setup honeypot accounts.
>>
>> (That way, Theo, spam COULD be sent to this list.
>
> I'm pretty sure SpamAssassin already has a similar feature.  I think
> it's called whitelist_to.  :)

man Mail::Spamassassin::Conf

Doesn't show it unless I scanned too fast. Which I did. So consider it
a wry comment about the spam scanning at Apache.org. One would THINK they
would be consuming their own coffee and using SpamAssassin, wouldn't one?
So there is no THEORETICAL reason they cannot allow spam to the SA list
or simply spammy message portions for "whyinelldidthisgetthrough?"

{^,-}

Re: Message to list rejected because it's too spamful!

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Nix" <ni...@esperi.org.uk>

> On Sat, 18 Mar 2006, jdow@earthlink.net yowled:
>> And while my mind is fertile (as in full of <oops>) today I just flashed
>> on the concept of a modified SpamAssassin tool as a "RepeatAssassin" for
>> mailinglists. If an issue has come up before it fires off the WHOLE thread
>> to the (hapless) repeat poster to bring him up to speed automatically. It
>> should be pretty easy with a clever enough tweak on Bayes and rules....
>
> That sounds to me like it could turn into a mailbomb :)
>
> (It's almost ARMMful, only sort of the other way around, sending extra
> copies of things instead of cancelling them.)

I'm an evil being, aren't I? Yaahhahhahhaaaaaa!

{^_-}

Re: Message to list rejected because it's too spamful!

Posted by Nix <ni...@esperi.org.uk>.
On Sat, 18 Mar 2006, jdow@earthlink.net yowled:
> And while my mind is fertile (as in full of <oops>) today I just flashed
> on the concept of a modified SpamAssassin tool as a "RepeatAssassin" for
> mailinglists. If an issue has come up before it fires off the WHOLE thread
> to the (hapless) repeat poster to bring him up to speed automatically. It
> should be pretty easy with a clever enough tweak on Bayes and rules....

That sounds to me like it could turn into a mailbomb :)

(It's almost ARMMful, only sort of the other way around, sending extra
copies of things instead of cancelling them.)

--
`Come now, you should know that whenever you plan the duration of your
 unplanned downtime, you should add in padding for random management

Re: Message to list rejected because it's too spamful!

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "jdow" <jd...@earthlink.net>

(I think I better exit stage left, FAST!        ---->>>>>        {O,o})

Re: Message to list rejected because it's too spamful!

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Philip Prindeville" <ph...@redfish-solutions.com>

> Matt Kettler wrote:
>
>>Philip Prindeville wrote:
>>

>>>Grrr...  Can we enable whitelisting for list members?
>>>

>>Read the archives, in short, no, because it's a blanket server that covers ALL
>>ASF email, not just this list.
>>

> There's no way that you can add a rule that says if the message
> is going to users@spamassassin.apache.org and the Subject begins
> with [SPAMFUL] then you could score it as -100.0?

Yah know, that does suggest there should be a "whitelist_to" option for
those who setup honeypot accounts.

(That way, Theo, spam COULD be sent to this list. This avoids running afoul
of the "20-20" rule. "If something is 20' or 20 seconds out of the way it
gets avoided unless the need is REALLY important." A spamassassin_samples
mailing list might be generated for the purpose. Then posting the spam is
only a couple second out of the way and it will happen, even if it gets
ignored.)

{^_^}

Re: Message to list rejected because it's too spamful!

Posted by Philip Prindeville <ph...@redfish-solutions.com>.

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.