Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Tony Nelson <tn...@starpoint.com> on 2011/10/17 20:12:22 UTC

tapestry5-beta22 html5 doctype

I have added the html5 doctype to my base layout.  In the base layout, I can use html entities as expected.

Any page that I create that uses the layout, throw an exception that I haven't declared the entity unless I explicitly add the html5 doctype to the page.

Is this the expected behavoir or should the page inherit the doctype from the layout?

Thanks
Tony Nelson

Re: tapestry5-beta22 html5 doctype

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
This is true.  You need to use <!DOCTYPE html> on any component that
references a named HTML entity.

I'm considering what it would take to allow HTML5 to be the default on
any template that does not define its own DOCTYPE.  That might be a
breaking change for the (very rare case) of a page that does not
render HTML (for instance, a page that exists to be an RSS feed).

This is unfortunately necessary when using SAX parser APIs, as there
isn't any way to intercept entity references as pass them though, the
way we'd like.

Perhaps Tapestry needs its own special-purpose (somewhat limited) XML
parser that gives us this control?  That seems like a reasonable idea
on the surface, but it much more likely to introduce bugs (especially
w.r.t. to charsets) and be slower than the standard XML parsers
available to the JVM.

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us> wrote:
> I believe that the way html5 doctype is implemented in tapestry this is correct behavior. You must declare html5 doctype on every page.
>

> On Oct 17, 2011, at 2:12 PM, Tony Nelson <tn...@starpoint.com> wrote:
>
>> I have added the html5 doctype to my base layout.  In the base layout, I can use html entities as expected.
>>
>> Any page that I create that uses the layout, throw an exception that I haven't declared the entity unless I explicitly add the html5 doctype to the page.
>>
>> Is this the expected behavoir or should the page inherit the doctype from the layout?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Tony Nelson

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry