Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/13 20:09:59 UTC

Re: Future of Tapestry in questionable

This one is floating around on the user list.

I was wondering when it would come up.

I have to admit I was a bit dismayed by Howard's blog entries lately.
Almost every second of my free time in the last 4 years has been
devoted to Spindle so when the driver of Tapestry starts musing about
the next framework to build I did do a double take. I didn't raise an
issue about it but since somebody now has...

Howard, where are you going with Tapestry?

Geoff

On 7/13/05, famanfo@tydex.com <fa...@tydex.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Recent views expressed by Howard on his blog and discussions on the net
> makes me question the future of Tapestry. He is sounding more and more pro
> Ruby on Rails and a bit anti Java. So the question is would Tapestry end up
> along the way like one of those abandoned OS projects with no development
> activity whatsover? This is something I think worth thinking about by we
> Tapestry users. To be honest, I'm taking a serious look at Wicket now.
> What do you think?
>
> Francis

The Spindle guy.           http://spindle.sf.net
Get help with Spindle:
Announcement Feed:
http://www.jroller.com/rss/glongman?catname=/Announcements
Feature Updates:            http://spindle.sf.net/updates

Re: Future of Tapestry in questionable

Posted by Vjeran Marcinko <vj...@email.t-com.hr>.
Geoff,

I'm Intellij user and I've never even seen Spindle, but I heard a lot of
praises about it, and that it is big achievement. I always thought of you as
second most "involved" guy in this project. Not by framework features (like
as I know how much all of you contributed individually), but by spent time
on it. Of course, maybe I'm wrong, but I believe I'm not that far from
truth.
Moreover, things you've just described about it below adds to my point. You
reacted nervously because you have spent *enormous* amount of time on it. In
fact, I read Howard's blog when it came out, and somehow, I didn't even have
slightest impression that Howard is preparing to leave Tapestry and Java. He
sounded to me only envious about some things that appeared recently in web
space. Absence of fanaticism for Tapestry is not only good thing with
Howard, but I would say even suprising.

Cheers,
Vjeran

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Danny Angus <Da...@slc.co.uk>.
Geoff,

my 2c...

One of the things the ASF tries to do is to ensure that projects don't have
a life that depends upon one or two key people.
We try to create self-sustaining communities around code, and call them
projects.

I know that Howard is the human dynamo driving Tapestry forward, and
respect him for the vision he has and for the work he's done, but it is
really up to the Tapestry community, not Howard on his own, to ensure that
there is a sustainable future for the project. This is one of the perceived
benefits of being part of Apache, sustainability. maturity, and an antidote
to the lone-programmer project.

One way to do this is make sure that you're all facing in the same
direction. Techniques such as status files, clear plans, proposals & votes,
while they may seem too bureaucratic at times, help to achieve this by
creating a meritocracy and giving everyone an equal say, ensuring that the
quieter voices aren't drowned out by the loud ones.

The jakarta PMC and the wider ASF community have masses of relevant
experience, individually and collectively, of the good and the bad, which
you can draw on to help you with issues like these.

You ask "Howard, where are you going with Tapestry?" I think this is the
wrong question.
You are a committer Geoff, where are _you_, all of you collectively, going
with Tapestry. Howard is a member (valued and hard working) of your team,
he dominates Tapestry's history but by bringing Tapestry to Apache he
renounced his "ownership" of the project. If Howard wants at some point,
like almost everyone who has ever started a project has, to take a less
dominant role and concentrate on New Things, then it is clearly and
explicitly up to you, the Tapestry commiters, to step up and keep the
project alive.

And in the real world some projects do fade away, what you have to do is
make sure that they fade away because the need has gone and not because the
community has become disfunctional.

Tapestry owes a  huge debt to Howard, but he is only human and deserves a
life outside the project, it shouldn't depend upon him alone for its
future.

d.

|         |           Howard Lewis Ship|
|         |           <hlship@gmail.com|
|         |           >                |
|         |           14/07/2005 00:44 |
|         |           "Tapestry        |
|         |           development"     |
  |                                                                                                                               |
  |       To:       Tapestry development <ta...@jakarta.apache.org>, Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>                    |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                     |
  |       Subject:  Re: Future of Tapestry in questionable                                                                        |

Wow!  This surreal thread was amusing me until I saw that Geoff was
getting concerned.

Geoff, don't be concerned.

I think Ruby on Rails, Wicket, even JSF have a ideas to offer to the
Tapestry community..  I think Ruby, Python, Haskell, Erlang and others
have ideas to offer Java and Java developers.

I've said that Tapestry will only be complete about five minutes
before the last web application of all time is completed. And I expect
to be involved that long.

Meanwhile, if you look at the list of enhancements for Tapestry 4.0
(say, in the beta-1 release notes), or our plans for 4.1, I would say
Tapestry is thriving.

On 7/13/05, Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This one is floating around on the user list.
>
> I was wondering when it would come up.
>
> I have to admit I was a bit dismayed by Howard's blog entries lately.
> Almost every second of my free time in the last 4 years has been
> devoted to Spindle so when the driver of Tapestry starts musing about
> the next framework to build I did do a double take. I didn't raise an
> issue about it but since somebody now has...
>
> Howard, where are you going with Tapestry?
>
> Geoff
>
> On 7/13/05, famanfo@tydex.com <fa...@tydex.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Recent views expressed by Howard on his blog and discussions on the net
> > makes me question the future of Tapestry. He is sounding more and more
pro
> > Ruby on Rails and a bit anti Java. So the question is would Tapestry
end up
> > along the way like one of those abandoned OS projects with no
development
> > activity whatsover? This is something I think worth thinking about by
we
> > Tapestry users. To be honest, I'm taking a serious look at Wicket now.
> > What do you think?
> >
> > Francis

> The Spindle guy.           http://spindle.sf.net
> Get help with Spindle:
> Announcement Feed:
> http://www.jroller.com/rss/glongman?catname=/Announcements
> Feature Updates:            http://spindle.sf.net/updates

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

The information in this e-mail is confidential and for use by the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient (or responsible for delivery of the message to the intended recipient) please notify us immediately on 0141 306 2050 and delete the message from your computer. You may not copy or forward it or use or disclose its contents to any other person. As Internet communications are capable of data corruption Student Loans Company Limited does not accept any  responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent. For this reason it may be inappropriate to rely on advice or opinions contained in an e-mail without obtaining written confirmation of it. Neither Student Loans Company Limited or the sender accepts any liability or responsibility for viruses as it is your responsibility to scan attachments (if any). Opinions and views expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender and may not reflect the opinions and views of The Student Loans Company Limit
 ed.

Fwd: Future of Tapestry in questionable

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.
> Wow!  This surreal thread was amusing me until I saw that Geoff was
> getting concerned.
>
> Geoff, don't be concerned.

Thanks. It was quite chilling to read the blog entry, kinda like a
"jumping the shark" moment.

BTW you should respond to this on the user list too. I cross posted to
the dev list and in gmail it's hard to tell that fact.

And now, back to Spindle!

Geoff

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.