Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ronan <r....@qub.ac.uk> on 2004/11/09 15:29:19 UTC

sa-learn

ok folks a couple of questions regarding sa-learn

I am about to enable the baysian filters via sa-learn on my mailhubs.
I currently have SURIBLS and a few choice rules from rulesemproium
running on 3.0.1 w/ exiscan

1) Am I right in thinking that i can run sa-learn spam on a folder which
contains spam, of which most has spassassin headers indicating the same
and that sa-learn knows to disregard the (spam-assasin) headers or all
headers for that matter...

2) how will the baysian checking affect the load as I have tweaked it so
that currently my servers are hitting 0-5% idle during peak and anything
more will probably make them fall over

3) how will the baysian affect the need for some of the rulesets i have,
no strike that
3b) how does the baysian affect any rulesets from say
exit0/rulesemporium can any be done awaywith are any made practicaly
obsolete by a well trained baysian???

4) Anything else i should be looking into???

thanks all

ronan
--
Regards

Ronan McGlue
==============
Analyst/Programmer
Information Services
Queens University Belfast
BT7 1NN

IMAP folder with sa-learn

Posted by hi...@free.fr.
Quoting hitete@free.fr:

> I want to integrate sa-learn to learn what is spam and what is non spam.
> I use SA 2.64 and procmail.
>
> Is it OK if I have two users that each move there SPAM and HAM to
> local IMAP folders ?.
>
> Like FALSE-SPAM and SPAM
> How do I specfy to sa-learn to go look in a certain imap folder ?.
>
> /Hitete

Re: sa-learn

Posted by hi...@free.fr.

Re: sa-learn

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 10:08 AM 11/9/2004, Ronan wrote:
>thats quite comprehensive answering there matt - most appreciated... :D
>
>one more though. sa-learn ham. Is this to explicity demark what should not
>be learnt as spam? so should you feed it the rest of your mailbox?

sa-learn --ham is used to teach SA what non-spam looks like. This has
nothing to do with adjusting what should or should not be learned in the
future. It is a direct, integral, and REQUIRED part of bayes training.

Bayes makes a judgement about how probable it is that a given mail is spam.
To do this, it needs to know what common words/phrases/tokens in spam look
like, and what they look like in nonspam.

When you train, sa-learn breaks a message into "tokens" (tokens are mostly
words from the body, but also various headers get encoded.). It then puts
these in a database and tracks how many times it was seen in spam, and how
many in times in nonspam. Based on the count of spam/ham matches, SA can
calculate a probability that a given token appears in a spam email (in
percentage 0% to 100%)

When new mail comes, bayes looks for token matches against it's existing
learning. It then comes to a probability of spam for the whole message
based on combining the probabilities of the tokens it matched.

It's all a simple statistical word-frequency thing...

Without ham training, bayes will think that everything is spam.
(Fortunately, SA will flatly refuse to use bayes until 200 hams have been
trained, as well as 200 spams)

Re: sa-learn

Posted by Ronan <r....@qub.ac.uk>.
thats quite comprehensive answering there matt - most appreciated... :D

one more though. sa-learn ham. Is this to explicity demark what should
not be learnt as spam? so should you feed it the rest of your mailbox?

Ive just created the two folders and Im opening them up for others ( a
small trusted fraternity ie the email group) to upload their spam to it.

So is it simply a case of whatever isnt spam put it in ham?

thanks
ronan

--
Regards