Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Res <re...@ausics.net> on 2008/06/26 12:38:30 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: [Suspected Phishing Fraud] [Disarmed Scripts] Re: [users@httpd] seperate vhost files for each domain

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, Agnello George wrote:

>The only  viable option would be storing , vhost directive in a DB ,  but
>i really have  not found any one in the industry that has tried this
>method. I

We used to a few years ago, but I had it changed because it caused us no
end of problems.

>Also storing vhsot in separate conf file is OK for couple of hundred
>domains, but for a web hosting company having 1000 + domains on each
>server i guess separate file cause problem

This is correct, which is why i wonde rif any of these people using the
'debian way' of vhost per file have actually used it in REAL environments,
and if so, have they tried it in one vhost.conf file and noticed the
differences, ther 'deabian way' seems a good idea as you pointed out,  if
and only if you have a few hosts but when you have thousands as most
hosting companies/ISP's-with-shared-hosting do, it would be have a
performance impact.

If I get bored one day I might try it out on our dev box and see if there
is any factual noticable impact as I suspect there would be.

> in,  1) editing  the separate
> files through scripts 2) graceful restart would also create a problem on
> the server

1 : no it wouldnt matter, you just create the vhost file or delete it and
restart apache

2 : agreed, have found that to be the case in and up to 2.2.8 have not
tried it with 2.2.9

--
Cheers
Res

2/ If only cleanfeed filtered out trolls as well as spam, usenet would be
    a nicer place.