Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Stephan Wiesner <st...@loewenfels.ch> on 2005/05/25 07:10:23 UTC

Regression/Functional Testing How To

Hi list,

Background:
here are some ideas about how to use Jmeter for functional and regression testing. We have started only a few weeks ago with that and I would greatly appreciate any experience reports.

Recording:
Say we have the requirement to let users register themselves. There are the usual restriction on the data.
Now, I start the recorder of Jmeter and click through the application, entering data that leads to error messages and finally filling it correct. Now back in Jmeter I add assertions to ensure the error messages are displayed correctly.
This does work, but is very cumbersome (for more complex requirements), especially when the requirements start to change.

Problem:
In many cases it would be enough to parse all responses for a keyword indicating an error, with a handful of handpicked assertions in the middle. If this keyword exists, the test should be terminated, otherwise one can assume that everything is fine.
I assume this can be achieved with post processors, I was not able to figure out how, though (any help here?).

Running:
We use Jmeter scripts in our nightly build system for regression testing and the developers can use them for their refactoring to ensure they did not break anything. We wait with the recording until we are fairly sure that the GUI is stable, to minimize our maintenance work.

Stephan

Re: Regression/Functional Testing How To

Posted by Michael Stover <ms...@apache.org>.
Read the docs on the while controller - it appears it might allow you to
exit your test in the event of a failure thrown by the response
assertion.

-Mike