Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Shevek <sh...@karmasphere.com> on 2011/10/18 19:21:33 UTC

Re: Is there a way to get the version of a remote hadoop instance

Hadoop instances don't publish their Hadoop version by RMI, only their
protocol version. Hadoop 0.20.x will use JobTracker protocol 65, DataNode
protocol 14, and so forth. You can query this using the Protocol RMI
interface, although I'm not sure that this method is accessible through any
public manner from JobClient.

There is an nmap script for Hadoop which queries (I believe) the web
interface available at http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2011/q4/58 - porting
this script to Java using commons-httpclient and either Pattern or Scanner
will not be hard.

S.

On 17 October 2011 17:41, <Ta...@emc.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to get the version of a remote hadoop instance through java
> API?
>
> Suppose there are two machines: A and B. I deploy the hadoop instance on
> machine A, while my application is deployed on machine B. Before starting
> my application, I want to check whether the hadoop instance version is
> compatible with my application, so I want to get the version of the hadoop
> instance on machine A from B.
>
> I go through all the API, only find there is a VersionInfo class which can
> get you the local Hadoop version, not the remote instance. Do you have any
> ideas about this?
>
> Thanks and regards!
> Tao

Re: Is there a way to get the version of a remote hadoop instance

Posted by Ta...@emc.com.
Shevek,

Thanks for your response, getting the protocol version doesn't fit our
requirements.

I think it's pretty easy for hadoop to provide this kind of information,
and this seems very common for those popular NOSQL databases......

Anyway, thanks for your reply! Hopefully hadoop can provide this
information in the coming versions.

Thanks and regards!
Tao