Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by sonali <so...@cybage.com> on 2010/07/15 12:45:13 UTC

LZO Compression

Hey all,
    I am working on LZO compression for improving MapREduce performance,
    I just want to know where can i find following files :

|        1. hadoop-lzo-lib.jar|

|	2. hadoop-lzo-native-libs

	3. ||standard-hadoop-native-libs

Thanks and regards,
Sonali

"Legal Disclaimer: This electronic message and all contents contain information from Cybage Software Private Limited which may be privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from disclosure. The information is intended to be for the addressee(s) only. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure, copy, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error please notify the sender by reply e-mail to and destroy the original message and all copies. Cybage has taken every reasonable precaution to minimize the risk of malicious content in the mail, but is not liable for any damage you may sustain as a result of any malicious content in this e-mail. You should carry out your own malicious content checks before opening the e-mail or attachment."
www.cybage.com

Re: Preferred Java version

Posted by Eric Sammer <es...@cloudera.com>.
Raymond:

Both _16 and _20 are heavily used in production and seem to be very stable.
I don't know that we have enough information about _21 yet to say how that
does but it's worth testing if you have some extra time.

--
Eric Sammer
twitter: esammer

Re: Preferred Java version

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Raymond Jennings III <ra...@yahoo.com>.
Is 1.6.0_17 or 1.6.0_20 preferred as the JRE for hadoop?  Thank you.

Re: WritableComparable question

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
On Jul 19, 2010, at 2:15 PM, Raymond Jennings III wrote:

> The only way I could fix this was to re-initialize my vectors in the
> "public
> void readFields(DataInput in)" method.  This does not seem like I
> should have to
> do this or do I ???

Yes, readFields has to clear the data structures. MapReduce reuses
objects in the loops.

-- Owen

Re: WritableComparable question

Posted by James Seigel <ja...@tynt.com>.
It has to reuse or the object creation would be killer!

Cheers
James

Sent from my mobile. Please excuse the typos.

Is hdfs reliable? Very odd error

Posted by Raymond Jennings III <ra...@yahoo.com>.
I copied a 230GB file into my hadoop cluster.  After my MR job kept failing I
tracked down the error to one line of formatted text.

I copied the file back out of hdfs and when I compare it to the original file
there are about 20 bytes on one line (out of 230GB) that are different.

Is there no CRC or checksum done when copying files into hdfs?

(Just to be clear, I copied the original file out of hdfs - not the output of my
MR job.)

Re: LZO Compression

Posted by Harsh J <qw...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 4:15 PM, sonali <so...@cybage.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>   I am working on LZO compression for improving MapREduce performance,
>   I just want to know where can i find following files :
>  |        1. hadoop-lzo-lib.jar|
> |       2. hadoop-lzo-native-libs
These don't come with Apache Hadoop anymore. Refer to
http://github.com/kevinweil/hadoop-lzo (README file) for a clean guide
on setting up LZO.

>        3. ||standard-hadoop-native-libs
These exist at an appropriate (architecture dependent) subdirectory
under $HADOOP_HOME/libs/native/

--
Harsh J
www.harshj.com