Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Constantinos Lyras <cl...@cytanet.com.cy> on 2001/02/28 19:02:55 UTC

Authentication without using a popup window

I would like to implement apache authentication from mysql without users entering their usename and password in the popup window but by entering them on an HTML form ( like HOTMAIL ).

Does anyone know how?

I managed to use mysql for authentication but by using the popup window.
My problem is how not to prompt the user but the fields for username/password should be entered on the page.

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

Constantinos

Re: Authentication without using a popup window

Posted by "James A. Sutherland" <ja...@cam.ac.uk>.
On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Constantinos Lyras wrote:

> I would like to implement apache authentication from mysql without
> users entering their usename and password in the popup window but by
> entering them on an HTML form ( like HOTMAIL ).
>
> Does anyone know how?
>
> I managed to use mysql for authentication but by using the popup
> window.  My problem is how not to prompt the user but the fields for
> username/password should be entered on the page.

In which case, you don't want regular HTTP authentication, which is done
by the browser (usually with the popup window you dislike).

Try mod_auth_cookie or similar, then set up a script which will set
appropriate cookies when given the username & password from a form.

James.