Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Trevor Huey <tr...@joltup.com> on 2017/10/06 21:16:09 UTC

Kafka Stream Deadman

I have a sneaky suspicion this is out of scope for Kafka Streams, however I
thought it wouldn't hurt to ask... I'm trying to implement a temperature
monitoring system. Kafka Streams seems great for doing that. The one
scenario that I'm not able to cover, however, is detecting when a
temperature sensor fails to report data for X amount of time (a.k.a
"deadman"). Is there some pattern that makes this possible in Kafka Streams?

I'd appreciate any pointers, even if the answer is "no" :) Thanks!
--
Trevor Huey
Jolt

Re: Kafka Stream Deadman

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hello Trevor,

You may be interested in the punctuate API of the processor:

https://kafka.apache.org/0110/javadoc/index.html?org/apache/kafka/streams/processor/Processor.html#punctuate

Note that in the coming 1.0.0 version users can schedule a punctuate
function either based on stream time (inferred from the incoming data
record) or wall-clock-time. I think a wall-clock-time based punctuation may
fit your needs, in which you can send a "deadman" notification message to
downstream for processing / reporting.

Guozhang

--
-- Guozhang