Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com> on 2006/12/24 22:38:32 UTC

Request for Summary element in POM

Hi,

I'm in the process of releasing an RPM Spec generator
for the JPackage project, and noticed that there is a
description element in the pom, but no summary
element.

If a summary element were added it would make JPackage
spec generation more efficient, assuming various
projects would put both elements to use.

Can we add a summary element to the pom?

I think this would be a convienent element to have
in the sense that description could now be more of a
detailed description and the summary...well a summary
:-)

I could put a JIRA in for this and update the xml
schema if this sounds reasonable.

Thanks,
- Ole

Re: Request for Summary element in POM

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com>.
Cool - Why don't we take a look together a little
later on, as soon as I get all the mappings finished
up?

Here's a brief overview of the approach I'm using:

- Create an Ecore (Eclipse EMF Project) of the
parameters that the Spec file needs
- Set defaults that are specific to the JPackage
project (Like Vendor, etc.) (These can be changed
simply by opening the ecore xml document, changing the
default parameters, and regenerating the model)
- Store Annotations that map the spec header model
attributes to their corresponding pom elements (I
wrote a how cookbook "page" on how to read these
annotations)
- This way the mapping can be updated simply by
changing the value of a fragment and regenerating the
model.
- The same EMF model is also used to generate an
Eclipse editor that can be used to edit the model.

I'm also writing a Maven POM structuring best
practices mojo that reviews a build analyzing the
structure of dependencies, etc. and make
recommendations such that the build poms conform to
what the JPackage RPM generator expects the structure
to look like in order to get a "clean/valid" spec.
Right now I'm mainly working on dependencies, but the
same will add support for plugin analysis later as
well.

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com>.
Hey Bob,

Posted by Bob Allison <SW...@columbus.rr.com>.