Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/21 22:46:57 UTC

[PROPOSAL] download statistics

Are we interested in emphasizing our download statistics more by putting
a link to:

http://www.openoffice.org/stats/

in the
"Additional Information" list on:

http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html

My thought is we could add various types of download stats to the
current "stats" page (or link to them at Sourceforge).

MzK

  dealt with a cat."
                                -- Robert Heinlein

Re: [PROPOSAL] download statistics

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are we interested in emphasizing our download statistics more by putting a
> link to:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/stats/
>
> in the
> "Additional Information" list on:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html

We can try, but I'm not sure how many people will follow that link.
When a user is on the download page, I think they are very
action-oriented.  They have a task they want to accomplish (download
OpenOffice) and everything that doesn't help them download is a
distraction.

Where it might be useful is further up the "funnel" of pages that
persuade a use to download OpenOffice.  So maybe on one of the "why"
pages.

In other words, who cares about this number?  Where does it make a
difference?  And where would that kind of person go on the website?

For example, this ancient "Press Kit" page is in serious need of
updating, but it is one possible place where a link would make sense:
http://www.openoffice.org/marketing/press_kit.html

But I have no objections to adding a link to the download page.

> My thought is we could add various types of download stats to the current
> "stats" page (or link to them at Sourceforge).

We do have some other stats there as well, though they are not all updated:

http://www.openoffice.org/stats/committers.html

http://www.openoffice.org/stats/ooo-dev-subscribers.html

http://www.openoffice.org/stats/defects.html