Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Kevin Lo <ke...@linpus.com.tw> on 1999/08/02 08:00:29 UTC

Translate the Apache doc. into Chinese.

Hi,

I have finished translating The Apache documentation: Reading Client
Input in Apache 1.2
into Chinese. Would I upload the file to Apache website? thanks.

- Kevin

Re: Translate the Apache doc. into Chinese.

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Kevin Lo wrote:
> >
> > As my experience, ( I'm a FreeBSD committer, and I maintain the
> > FreeBSD FAQ), if I update the CVS tree, the system send all committers
> > an email automatically that notifies I updated some files.
> > I guess this is what you want, right?
>
> Actually, I was thinking of something more specific, but that would
> do.  We've had that on the Apache modules forever.  I was thinking
> of a way to signal people who have finished translating a particular
> file that they need to go back and possibly verify it.

This might be an _exclent_ moment in time to seperate the docs
a bit more from the mail core; and Cc: in apache-docs@.. or
a apache-docs-cvs@... group.

My guess it that when we go towards a situation where we
have more poeple working on smaller parts, we want to fine
tune the CVS commit messages a lot more that we do now.
Or force procmail down people's throats.

Dw

Re: Translate the Apache doc. into Chinese.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

--
#ken    P-)}

"Apache Server for Dummies" <http://ASFD.MeepZor.Com/>

Re: Translate the Apache doc. into Chinese.

Posted by Kevin Lo <ke...@linpus.com.tw>.
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Kevin Lo wrote:
> >
> > I have discussed the translation documentation with this mailing list.
> > Unfortunately, no one take the further actions :(
> > Ken, would you like to say something, thanks.
>
> Sure, I can almost always be counted upon to say something. :-)
>
> As I pointed out earlier, I like option #4 for translated
> documentation.  (That was having a mirror of the docs tree
> structure on another system than www.apache.org, with link to
> it from there and negociation enabled.)  I've got the server
> for it; I just need to set up the tree.
>
> It would be nicest if it could actually live on the Apache
> site itself in the main Apache docco tree.  Unfortunately, for
> that to work, MultiViews and negociation would need to be
> set up properly (including the appropriate AddLanguage directives,
> et cetera) not only on www.apache.org, but on all of the dozens
> of mirror systems as well.  That seems quite unlikely to happen,
> which is why I currently favour an alternate system for
> the translations.
>
> I think a little process will be necessary if we pursue this.
> For instance, translated files ought to include a 'translated
> at <date>' line at the top, since they're certain to fall out
> of synch.

Agreed. I have added in my doc :-)

- Kevin Lo             - kevinlo@linpus.com.tw
- Linpus Technologies  - http://www.linpus.com.tw
- FreeBSD FAQ Team     - kevlo@FreeBSD.org
- tkWorld Project Team - http://www.tkWorld.org

Re: Translate the Apache doc. into Chinese.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Kevin Lo wrote:

> I have discussed the translation documentation with this mailing list.
> Unfortunately, no one take the further actions :(
> Ken, would you like to say something, thanks.

Sure, I can almost always be counted upon to say something. :-)

As I pointed out earlier, I like option #4 for translated
documentation.  (That was having a mirror of the docs tree
structure on another system than www.apache.org, with link to
it from there and negociation enabled.)  I've got the server
for it; I just need to set up the tree.

It would be nicest if it could actually live on the Apache
site itself in the main Apache docco tree.  Unfortunately, for
that to work, MultiViews and negociation would need to be
set up properly (including the appropriate AddLanguage directives,
et cetera) not only on www.apache.org, but on all of the dozens
of mirror systems as well.  That seems quite unlikely to happen,
which is why I currently favour an alternate system for
the translations.

I think a little process will be necessary if we pursue this.
For instance, translated files ought to include a 'translated
at <date>' line at the top, since they're certain to fall out
of synch.  And the master docco should be mirrored into the

Posted by Kevin Lo <ke...@linpus.com.tw>.
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Kevin Lo wrote:
> >
> > I have finished translating The Apache documentation: Reading Client
> > Input in Apache 1.2
> > into Chinese. Would I upload the file to Apache website? thanks.
>
> There are a number of ways of doing this..
>
> 1. Copy the translated files to the apache.org site, and name them
>    with the appropriate language extension.  (What *is* the ISO
>    country code for this translation?)
> 2. Note on the main Apache site that some of the docs have been
>    translated, and link to their current location.
> 3. Set up a directory tree on some server explicitly for this
>    translation, and copy the files there as they're made ready.
>    Point to this location from the main Apache site.
> 4. Set up a tree on some server containing nothing *but*
>    translated versions, and point to it from the main Apache
>    site.
>
> #1 is probably not particularly good because the site is mirrored
> in dozens of places, and many of the mirrors may not have multiviews
> and negociation enabled.
>
> #2 is uncomfortable to me because the current location of the
> document is full of cookies and popups.
>
> #3 or #4 would probably be best; I'd actually prefer #4 because it
> would provide for multiple concurrent translation efforts.  I'll
> volunteer server space for that.
>
> This is certainly not an exhaustive list!  Any thoughts?

I also prefer #4 :-) Do I send you the translated files?
Thanks for  your helps.

> --
> #ken    P-)}
>
> Ken Coar                    <http://Web.Golux.Com/coar/>
> Apache Software Foundation  <http://www.apache.org/>
> "Apache Server for Dummies" <http://ASFD.MeepZor.Com/>

--
Kevin Lo                        | Linpus Technologies Inc.
kevinlo@linpus.com.tw           | http://www.linpus.com.tw

Re: Translate the Apache doc. into Chinese.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Kevin Lo wrote:

> IMHO, in the CVS tree, create a directory named zh, all Big5
> documentations are in 'zh' directory. I think it's a better way :-)

Eew.  So much for letting the Web negociation technology work
and propagate, then.  I'd rather see foo.html.en, foo.html.fr,
and foo.html.zh alongside each other in the same directory.

Posted by Kevin Lo <ke...@linpus.com.tw>.

Posted by Kevin Lo <ke...@linpus.com.tw>.
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Kevin Lo wrote:
> >
> > This is a good idea, I also mentioned in my previous email.
> > All the files named something.big5.html is better, I think.
>
> Erm, no -- not if we want negociation to work (and *I* do,
> at least).  something.html.zh would be the way.  Charsets
> are poorly supported for negociation, so something like
>
> AddType text/html;charset=big5 .html.zh
>
> would probably be appropriate.

Okay. Would you inform me if you finished setting up your server? thnaks.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Posted by Kevin Lo <ke...@linpus.com.tw>.
Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
> > Kevin Lo wrote:
> > >
> > > Hmm, I think it should be .zh__TW.Big5
> >
> > I'm not very I18N-aware in far-Eastern issues.  Can we break
> > this into country-/language-code and charset identifiers?
> >
> No insult intented, and at the severe risk op stepping on your toes Kevin,
> I think that since we have no other translations in 'zh' yet, just calling
> them
>
>         something.html.zh or something.zh.html
>
> is quite enough. We then _now_ mandate that all our zh's are going to
> be in Big5 :-) And put that in the httpd.conf
>
> The other option would be a directory 'zh' in the main docroot whith
> all the files in there as something.html or something.big5.html.

This is a good idea, I also mentioned in my previous email.
All the files named something.big5.html is better, I think.
If you guys agree, would you create an account on Apache site for me?
I can use CVS to update files. As I mentioned, I'm a FreeBSD committer,
I'm familiar with CVS :-)

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Posted by Kevin Lo <ke...@linpus.com.tw>.
Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
> > Kevin Lo wrote:
> > >
> > > I have finished translating The Apache documentation: Reading Client
> > > Input in Apache 1.2
> > > into Chinese. Would I upload the file to Apache website? thanks.
> >
> > There are a number of ways of doing this..
> >
> > 1. Copy the translated files to the apache.org site, and name them
> >    with the appropriate language extension.  (What *is* the ISO
> >    country code for this translation?)
>
>         .zh
>
> I'd guess :-)))

Hmm, I think it should be .zh__TW.Big5

> > 2. Note on the main Apache site that some of the docs have been
> >    translated, and link to their current location.
> > 3. Set up a directory tree on some server explicitly for this
> >    translation, and copy the files there as they're made ready.
> >    Point to this location from the main Apache site.
> > 4. Set up a tree on some server containing nothing *but*
> >    translated versions, and point to it from the main Apache
> >    site.
> >
> > #1 is probably not particularly good because the site is mirrored
> > in dozens of places, and many of the mirrors may not have multiviews
> > and negociation enabled.
>
> > #2 is uncomfortable to me because the current location of the
> > document is full of cookies and popups.
> >
> > #3 or #4 would probably be best; I'd actually prefer #4 because it
> > would provide for multiple concurrent translation efforts.  I'll
> > volunteer server space for that.
>
> > This is certainly not an exhaustive list!  Any thoughts?
>
> I'd hate #4; it is such a valuable thing to have translations; even
> if they are not a 100% up to date or complete; I'd really prefer
> them to live on the main apache.org and be close to either the
> mainstream CVS maintenance wise, or to a doc's specific section.

Actually, I have suggested Ken Coar about #1, like FDP
(FreeBSD Documentation Project), which using CVS to maintain doc.
Anyway, #1 and #4 are good ideas, I think.

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

#1 is probably not particularly good because the site is mirrored

#2 is uncomfortable to me because the current location of the
document is full of cookies and popups.

#3 or #4 would probably be best; I'd actually prefer #4 because it