Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by ryan mckinley <ry...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/22 03:50:42 UTC

Schema Parsing Failed, fix?

I have been succescully using a 'nightly build' from a week ago.  I updated
to the trunk version and am unable to get the example webapp to deploy.

I get an error that says "Schema Parsing Failed" caused by
NumberFormatException when trying to set the version in
IndexSchema.readConfig().

I was able to get the schema to load (and still pass all the tests) by
modifying org.apache.solr.core.Config.getVal( ... )

- - -

trunk:
  String txt = DOMUtil.getText(nd);

mine:

  String txt = DOMUtil.getText(nd);
  if( txt == null || txt.length() < 1 ) {
      txt = nd.getNodeValue();
  }

- - - -

I'm not sure this i a 'real' fix, as i don't fully understand it.  any
thougts what may be going on?  Are other people having this problem?

thanks
ryan

Re: Schema Parsing Failed, fix?

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On 12/22/06, ryan mckinley <ry...@gmail.com> wrote:
> here is a patch if that makes my change any clearer.  Should i post it to:
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-78
> ?

That issue has been closed (and is in our upcoming 1.1 release that
has already been cut),
so you could open a new issue and attach a patch).

-Yonik

Re: Schema Parsing Failed, fix?

Posted by ryan mckinley <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: : Node.ATTRIBUTE_NODE case so it is treated the same as TEXT_NODE and it
: : works for resin and the tests pass.
:
: Hmmm... yeah, this seems to be a mistake in the DOM-Level-3-Core
: description of what getText is suppose to do ... it says that for
: ATTRIBUTE_NODE you should concat all of the children -- but how would an
: ATTRIBUTE ever have children?

Did some more reading ... according to DOM-Level-3-Core, an Attr's allowed
children are "Text" and "EntityReference".

Xerces2-j NodeImpl..getTextContent duplicates the table from the
Level-3-Core docs (which is also in the java 1.5 javadocs for
org.w3c.dom.Node.getTextContent()) which the notable exception that they
move ATTRIBUTE_NODE down into the second row (indicating nodeValue should
be used instead of concating the children) ... the impl backs this up
(AttrImpl inherits getTextContent from NodeImpl, which by default returns
this.getNodeValue())

http://xerces.apache.org/xerces2-j/javadocs/xerces2/org/apache/xerces/dom/NodeImpl.html#getTextContent()
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/org/w3c/dom/Node.html#getTextContent()
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xerces/java/trunk/src/org/apache/xerces/dom/AttrImpl.java?view=markup
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xerces/java/trunk/src/org/apache/xerces/dom/NodeImpl.java?view=markup

Fortunately, the DOM Spec says that accessing the Attr.nodeValue is
defined to be Attr.value, which is documented as...

	On retrieval, the value of the attribute is returned as a string.
	Character and general entity references are replaced with their values.

...so even if someone out there is acctually obeying the spec about
giving Attr's child nodes, we should still be safe using getNodeValue in
the Node.ATTRIBUTE_NODE case since the spec says that needs to work too.

-Hoss

Re: Schema Parsing Failed, fix?

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: The problem occured with a Node.ATTRIBUTE_NODE.  It would get the text
: from the body (returning "" in this case).  I moved the
: Node.ATTRIBUTE_NODE case so it is treated the same as TEXT_NODE and it
: works for resin and the tests pass.

Hmmm... yeah, this seems to be a mistake in the DOM-Level-3-Core
description of what getText is suppose to do ... it says that for
ATTRIBUTE_NODE you should concat all of the children -- but how would an
ATTRIBUTE ever have children?

I'll try to test this out soon.

-Hoss

Re: Schema Parsing Failed, fix?

Posted by ryan mckinley <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On 12/22/06, Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> wrote:
> 1) i'm assuming the <schema> tag in your schema.xml either doesn't have a
> version="" attribute in it, or has an empty string (or pure white space)
> as the value, is that correct?

This happens with the solr example.
I just verified it... downloaded resin-2.2.zip on windows, copied over
example/webapps/solr.war and example/solr/example and I got the
same exception on startup.

> so is this a bug in the DOMUtil.getText(NOde) method i wrote, or should we
> change Config.getVal, or should we change all of the Config.get*(path,def)
> methods to use the default if getVal returns am empty string?

I'd rather not unless we really have to.  Seems like we should be able
to tell the difference of foo="" and the absense of foo.

-Yonik

Re: Schema Parsing Failed, fix?

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: I have the trunk version with patch #1 on SOLR-78 (the one edited at
: 11:59am).  When i run the war file on a windows machine running
: resin-3.0.21 it works fine.  When i run it on a linux box (debian)
: also running resin-3.0.21, i get:

ah .. okay, so you never tried the older version (i thought you ment you
had personally applied one of hte patches to your local copy)

: [00:25:35.025] Caused by: java.lang.NumberFormatException: empty String
: [00:25:35.025]  at
: sun.misc.FloatingDecimal.readJavaFormatString(FloatingDecimal.java:994)
: [00:25:35.025]  at java.lang.Float.parseFloat(Float.java:394)
: [00:25:35.025]  at org.apache.solr.core.Config.getFloat(Config.java:174)
: [00:25:35.025]  at
: org.apache.solr.schema.IndexSchema.readConfig(IndexSchema.java:273)

Ah .. interesting ... that's parsing the version number from the schema,
and by the looks of it it's not getting the default version but an empty
string instead.

can you verify two things for me...

1) i'm assuming the <schema> tag in your schema.xml either doesn't have a
version="" attribute in it, or has an empty string (or pure white space)
as the value, is that correct?

2) can you try running resin with the java logging level at "fine" and
looking for a log line that includes the string "/schema/@version" and let
us know what it says?

Config.getFloat(path,def) only uses the default value if
getVal(path,false) returns null -- but i'm guessing DOMUtil.getText(Node)
is returning the empty string.

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On 12/22/06, ryan mckinley <ry...@gmail.com> wrote:
> yes, this works.  But i am running resin 3.0.21 (after 19!)

Yeah... they had an earlier bug that was fixed in 3.0.20, but I guess
that when we tried to fix the parsing for those older versions, it
broke against their newer versions.

-Yonik

Re: Schema Parsing Failed, fix?

Posted by ryan mckinley <ry...@gmail.com>.
yes, this works.  But i am running resin 3.0.21 (after 19!)

Chris, i'll send you "fine" log trace, in a moment

Posted by ryan mckinley <ry...@gmail.com>.
I have the trunk version with patch #1 on SOLR-78 (the one edited at
11:59am).  When i run the war file on a windows machine running
resin-3.0.21 it works fine.  When i run it on a linux box (debian)
also running resin-3.0.21, i get:

I get:

[00:25:35.025] Caused by: java.lang.NumberFormatException: empty String
[00:25:35.025]  at
sun.misc.FloatingDecimal.readJavaFormatString(FloatingDecimal.java:994)
[00:25:35.025]  at java.lang.Float.parseFloat(Float.java:394)
[00:25:35.025]  at org.apache.solr.core.Config.getFloat(Config.java:174)
[00:25:35.025]  at
org.apache.solr.schema.IndexSchema.readConfig(IndexSchema.java:273)

- - - - - - - -

Here is the whole stack trace:

[00:25:33.550] expanding /home/lapnap/solr/webapp/solr.war to
/home/lapnap/solr/webapp/solr
[00:25:34.147] WebApp[http://localhost:8765/solr] starting
[00:25:34.211] SolrServer: init
[00:25:34.212] SolrServlet.init()
[00:25:34.231] Solr home set to '/home/lapnap/solr/'
[00:25:34.232] user.dir=/usr/local/resin-3.0.21
[00:25:34.367] Loaded SolrConfig: solrconfig.xml
[00:25:34.630] adding requestHandler standard=solr.StandardRequestHandler
[00:25:34.641] Adding 'file:/home/lapnap/solr/lib/.svn/' to Solr classloader
[00:25:34.642] Adding
'file:/home/lapnap/solr/lib/commons-codec-1.3.jar' to Solr classloader
[00:25:34.642] Adding 'file:/home/lapnap/solr/lib/commons-lang.jar' to
Solr classloader
[00:25:34.643] Adding 'file:/home/lapnap/solr/lib/solrex.jar' to Solr
classloader
[00:25:34.721] adding requestHandler dismax=solr.DisMaxRequestHandler
[00:25:34.831] adding requestHandler partitioned=solr.DisMaxRequestHandler
[00:25:34.856] adding requestHandler instock=solr.DisMaxRequestHandler
[00:25:34.932] Opening new SolrCore at /home/lapnap/solr/,
dataDir=/home/lapnap/solr/data
[00:25:34.964] Reading Solr Schema
[00:25:34.997] Schema name=example
[00:25:35.012] org.apache.solr.core.SolrException: Schema Parsing Failed
[00:25:35.012]  at
org.apache.solr.schema.IndexSchema.readConfig(IndexSchema.java:441)
[00:25:35.012]  at
org.apache.solr.schema.IndexSchema.<init>(IndexSchema.java:69)
[00:25:35.012]  at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.<init>(SolrCore.java:191)
[00:25:35.012]  at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.getSolrCore(SolrCore.java:172)
[00:25:35.012]  at org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrServlet.init(SolrServlet.java:72)
[00:25:35.012]  at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:69)
[00:25:35.012]  at
com.caucho.server.dispatch.ServletConfigImpl.createServletImpl(ServletConfigImpl.java:646)
[00:25:35.012]  at
com.caucho.server.dispatch.ServletConfigImpl.createServlet(ServletConfigImpl.java:587)
[00:25:35.012]  at
com.caucho.server.dispatch.ServletManager.init(ServletManager.java:154)
[00:25:35.012]  at
com.caucho.server.webapp.Application.start(Application.java:1654)
[00:25:35.012]  at
com.caucho.server.deploy.DeployController.startImpl(DeployController.java:621)
[00:25:35.012]  at
com.caucho.server.deploy.StartAutoRedeployAutoStrategy.startOnInit(StartAutoRedeployAutoStrategy.java:72)
[00:25:35.012]  at
com.caucho.server.deploy.DeployController.startOnInit(DeployController.java:509)
[00:25:35.012]  at
com.caucho.server.deploy.DeployContainer.start(DeployContainer.java:153)
[00:25:35.012]  at
com.caucho.server.webapp.ApplicationContainer.start(ApplicationContainer.java:670)
[00:25:35.012]  at com.caucho.server.host.Host.start(Host.java:420)
[00:25:35.012]  at
com.caucho.server.deploy.DeployController.startImpl(DeployController.java:621)
[00:25:35.012]  at
com.caucho.server.deploy.StartAutoRedeployAutoStrategy.startOnInit(StartAutoRedeployAutoStrategy.java:72)
[00:25:35.012]  at
com.caucho.server.deploy.DeployController.startOnInit(DeployController.java:509)
[00:25:35.012]  at
com.caucho.server.deploy.DeployContainer.start(DeployContainer.java:153)
[00:25:35.012]  at
com.caucho.server.host.HostContainer.start(HostContainer.java:504)
[00:25:35.012]  at
com.caucho.server.resin.ServletServer.start(ServletServer.java:971)
[00:25:35.012]  at
com.caucho.server.deploy.DeployController.startImpl(DeployController.java:621)
[00:25:35.012]  at
com.caucho.server.deploy.AbstractDeployControllerStrategy.start(AbstractDeployControllerStrategy.java:56)
[00:25:35.012]  at
com.caucho.server.deploy.DeployController.start(DeployController.java:517)
[00:25:35.012]  at
com.caucho.server.resin.ResinServer.start(ResinServer.java:546)
[00:25:35.012]  at com.caucho.server.resin.Resin.init(Resin.java)
[00:25:35.012]  at com.caucho.server.resin.Resin.main(Resin.java:625)
[00:25:35.012] Caused by: java.lang.NumberFormatException: empty String
[00:25:35.012]  at
sun.misc.FloatingDecimal.readJavaFormatString(FloatingDecimal.java:994)
[00:25:35.012]  at java.lang.Float.parseFloat(Float.java:394)
[00:25:35.012]  at org.apache.solr.core.Config.getFloat(Config.java:174)
[00:25:35.012]  at
org.apache.solr.schema.IndexSchema.readConfig(IndexSchema.java:273)
[00:25:35.012]  ... 27 more
[00:25:35.021] javax.servlet.ServletException:
org.apache.solr.core.SolrException: Schema Parsing Failed
[00:25:35.021]  at
com.caucho.server.dispatch.ServletConfigImpl.createServlet(ServletConfigImpl.java:618)
[00:25:35.021]  at
com.caucho.server.dispatch.ServletManager.init(ServletManager.java:154)
[00:25:35.021]  at
com.caucho.server.webapp.Application.start(Application.java:1654)
[00:25:35.021]  at
com.caucho.server.deploy.DeployController.startImpl(DeployController.java:621)
[00:25:35.021]  at
com.caucho.server.deploy.StartAutoRedeployAutoStrategy.startOnInit(StartAutoRedeployAutoStrategy.java:72)
[00:25:35.021]  at
com.caucho.server.deploy.DeployController.startOnInit(DeployController.java:509)
[00:25:35.021]  at
com.caucho.server.deploy.DeployContainer.start(DeployContainer.java:153)
[00:25:35.021]  at
com.caucho.server.webapp.ApplicationContainer.start(ApplicationContainer.java:670)
[00:25:35.021]  at com.caucho.server.host.Host.start(Host.java:420)
[00:25:35.021]  at
[...]
[00:25:35.021]  at com.caucho.server.resin.Resin.init(Resin.java)
[00:25:35.021]  at com.caucho.server.resin.Resin.main(Resin.java:625)
[00:25:35.021] Caused by: org.apache.solr.core.SolrException: Schema
Parsing Failed
[00:25:35.021]  at
org.apache.solr.schema.IndexSchema.readConfig(IndexSchema.java:441)
[00:25:35.021]  at
org.apache.solr.schema.IndexSchema.<init>(IndexSchema.java:69)
[00:25:35.021]  at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.<init>(SolrCore.java:191)
[00:25:35.021]  at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.getSolrCore(SolrCore.java:172)
[00:25:35.021]  at org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrServlet.init(SolrServlet.java:72)
[00:25:35.021]  at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:69)
[00:25:35.021]  at
com.caucho.server.dispatch.ServletConfigImpl.createServletImpl(ServletConfigImpl.java:646)
[00:25:35.021]  at
com.caucho.server.dispatch.ServletConfigImpl.createServlet(ServletConfigImpl.java:587)
[00:25:35.021]  ... 20 more
[00:25:35.021] Caused by: java.lang.NumberFormatException: empty String
[00:25:35.021]  at
sun.misc.FloatingDecimal.readJavaFormatString(FloatingDecimal.java:994)
[00:25:35.021]  at java.lang.Float.parseFloat(Float.java:394)
[00:25:35.021]  at org.apache.solr.core.Config.getFloat(Config.java:174)
[00:25:35.021]  at
org.apache.solr.schema.IndexSchema.readConfig(IndexSchema.java:273)
[00:25:35.021]  ... 27 more
[00:25:35.025] javax.servlet.ServletException:
[...]
[00:25:35.025]  at com.caucho.server.host.Host.start(Host.java:420)
[00:25:35.025]  at
[...]
[00:25:35.025]  at com.caucho.server.resin.Resin.init(Resin.java)
[00:25:35.025]  at com.caucho.server.resin.Resin.main(Resin.java:625)
[00:25:35.025] Caused by: org.apache.solr.core.SolrException: Schema
Parsing Failed
[00:25:35.025]  at
org.apache.solr.schema.IndexSchema.readConfig(IndexSchema.java:441)
[00:25:35.025]  at
org.apache.solr.schema.IndexSchema.<init>(IndexSchema.java:69)
[00:25:35.025]  at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.<init>(SolrCore.java:191)
[00:25:35.025]  at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.getSolrCore(SolrCore.java:172)
[00:25:35.025]  at org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrServlet.init(SolrServlet.java:72)
[00:25:35.025]  at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:69)
[00:25:35.025]  at
com.caucho.server.dispatch.ServletConfigImpl.createServletImpl(ServletConfigImpl.java:646)
[00:25:35.025]  at
com.caucho.server.dispatch.ServletConfigImpl.createServlet(ServletConfigImpl.java:587)
[00:25:35.025]  ... 20 more
[00:25:35.025] Caused by: java.lang.NumberFormatException: empty String
[00:25:35.025]  at
sun.misc.FloatingDecimal.readJavaFormatString(FloatingDecimal.java:994)
[00:25:35.025]  at java.lang.Float.parseFloat(Float.java:394)
[00:25:35.025]  at org.apache.solr.core.Config.getFloat(Config.java:174)
[00:25:35.025]  at
org.apache.solr.schema.IndexSchema.readConfig(IndexSchema.java:273)
[00:25:35.025]  ... 27 more
[00:25:35.351] WebApp[http://localhost:8765] starting

thanks

Posted by ryan mckinley <ry...@gmail.com>.
I'm running resin-3.0.21

I applied the path from SOLR-78. This fixed this issue when i am
running on windows, but strangely, it is still there on the linux
version!

For now, i guess i just have to keep in the:

  if( txt == null || txt.length() < 1 ) {
    txt = nd.getNodeValue();
  }

but that seems wrong...