Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> on 2006/07/01 21:11:58 UTC

Re: What is the point of the CAR file?

My gut still tells me that CAR files should go the way of the Dodo.

W/o CAR's the number of modules for the build is reduced close to
half, which is a massive simplification IMO.  Also seems that w/o
CARs then we don't need our custom build plugins, which is another
significant simplification to the build process.

The need to have code modules, then config modules to build
configuration state to allow applications to be deployed into the
server also smells a bit fishy to me.  But, I admit that I really
don't understand what the benefit of the CAR file is.  From what you
said David, looks like CAR provides some level of simplification
inside of the server when dealing with configuration.

Could you (or someone else) please explain what the benefits are in
more detail.  While, my current thoughts are that we don't really
need to have it, I would like to understand it before I strengthen my
recommendation.

  * * *

I'm looking for more details and less debate at this point, so if you
have a few to explain it I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

--jason