Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Terence Cordes <Te...@reuters.com> on 2006/09/19 15:24:20 UTC

Find in Files/Searching content of files in the repository

I've just had a request from a user that I'm don't think is possible
with any Subversion client, but thought I would ask.  The user was
wondering if there is any support to search the content of files in a
repository without having to check out the files, such as the "Find In
Files" functionality in Visual Source Safe.

At this point, the only means I know to search the file contents of a
repository is to checkout the repository and perform a search using the
file system.  Do any Win32 Subversion clients support this type of
search without performing a checkout?

-T

Terry Cordes
ReutersDev.Net SCM Migration Manager
Reuters Developer Network
744 Office Parkway, Creve Coeur, MO 63141  United States

(t) +1.314.468.3927 | (m) +1.314.537.4290 | (f) +1.314.468.4150

terence.cordes@reuters.com
Reuters Messaging: terence.cordes.reuters.com@reuters.net

Reuters news and information reaches one billion people every day. Get
the latest news at Reuters.com <http://www.reuters.com/>

This email was sent to you by Reuters, the global news and information company.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Reuters Ltd.

Re: Find in Files/Searching content of files in the repository

Posted by Ivan Aleman <bo...@gmail.com>.

> I realize this is somewhat off topic, but since you mentioned it I'd like to
> know how to do this in Trac. By default, Trac only searches the tickets,
> wiki pages and changesets. I haven't found a way to do a full text search of
> source code which is what the original poster seems to be inquiring about.
> Is there a configuration option?

Yes there is, seek for it at http://trac-hacks.org, trac will work for
the original poster very well.

PS I read the list so please do not reply to my address.

--
Iván Alemán ~ [[ Debian (Sid) ]] ~
bonovoxmofo.blogspot.com

Re: Find in Files/Searching content of files in the repository

Posted by Jeff Marder <je...@yahoo.com>.
> You can use trac ( http://trac.edgewall.org/ ) for that matter.

I realize this is somewhat off topic, but since you mentioned it I'd like to know how to do this in Trac. By default, Trac only searches the tickets, wiki pages and changesets. I haven't found a way to do a full text search of source code which is what the original poster seems to be inquiring about. Is there a configuration option?

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: Find in Files/Searching content of files in the repository

Posted by Ivan Aleman <bo...@gmail.com>.
[...]