Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com> on 2013/05/07 11:33:26 UTC

River Board Report

It's that time again... Any issues or additions to the following?  I
need to submit it before tomorrow.

Question to all - For the life of me I can't find an email with a record
of our last new committer.  I think it was Dennis, but I can't remember
the date - anyone?

Cheers,

Greg.

Apache River is a Java-based Service Oriented Architecture, implementing
the Jini Specification and Jini Technology Starter Kit originally
donated by Sun Microsystems.

ISSUES FOR THE BOARD

There are no board-level issues at this time

RELEASES

Apache River 2.2.1 was released on May 2, 2013.  At time of writing the
release has been approved by the PMC but not announced yet (just waiting
for the distribution mirrors).  We also expect to release artifacts for
version 2.2.1 to the Maven repository in the near future (these will be
subject to another release vote as we understand it).  The last previous
release was 2.2.0 in July 0f 2011.

COMMUNITY

No new committers have been added since Feb 2012, although a couple of
emeritus committers have showed up on the mailing list in recent months.

ACTIVITY

There has been significant activity around the release.  The 2.2.1
release was a maintenance release of the 2.2 branch.  In the time since
the 2.2 branch there have been a large number of changes to the trunk
code and the QA test code, particularly in regards to concurrency
issues, leading to some debate around the confidence level in the trunk
code.  Basically, we feel that we waited far too long between releases.
With the 2.2.1 maintenance release out of the way, the community is
discussing how to proceed with release of the trunk code (which will
likely become the 2.3 stream).  Also, we are discussing a switch to
Review-then-Commit procedure on the trunk code (previously we had
specified RTC only on API changes, but Commit-then-Review on the
implementation code).  The discussions have been at times spirited, but
generally cordial.

There have been some suggestions that we should consider switching to
Git for version control.  We're watching other project's experiences
with interest.

Re: River Board Report

Posted by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com>.
Whoops, Dan seems to have come back in Nov of 2011.  The last change was
Patricia resigning in March of 2012.

Greg.

Re: River Board Report

Posted by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com>.