Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2007/04/18 13:02:08 UTC

ivyBuild branch

Now that forrest trunk has moved on to the next development
version (including the xmlformat of all xml files)
we might need to do something with the "ivyBuild" branch.
Does anyone know what should be done?

-David

Re: ivyBuild branch

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 07/06/07, David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> Brian M Dube wrote:
> > David Crossley wrote:

> > >Yeah i was wondering about that too.
> >
> > >Anyway let us postpone that discussion until
> > >next week.
> >
> > How does the switch to Ivy fit with the other things that were discussed
> > to happen right after the release? Is the plan to do this in trunk?
>
> It should be able to be independent of other things,
> as far as i can tell.
>
> I presume that it should be possible to take this
> in small steps:
> Get a basic Ivy setup working, perhaps only managing
> one or two artifacts.
> Get the build and run to use most libs from the
> $FORREST_HOME/lib/* and the others from Ivy.
> Gradually move stuff to be managed by Ivy.
>
> Is that possible? If so then i reckon that we should
> get going in trunk.

Yes, it is possible. I took a different approach in the branch because
I expected to have enough time to finish it, but then others got the
momentum for a release and I moved house/changed jobs, so I stopped
working on it.

Ivy can be used to download the jars into the lib directory for us, so
I would suggest doing that first.

- make a list of all the jars we need
- put that in an issue
- add lib directory to SVN ignore (or maybe just remember not to
commit changes during this process)
- move the ivy config, repository and build scripts into trunk (need
to think about the best way)
- add the first jar from the list to the ivy config
- remove that jar and its license files from the lib folder
- run the build (this should download the jar and put a copy in the
lib folder - put it in our local repo if it isn't available)
- move on to the next jar in the list
- repeat until all jars are retrieved
- remove the lib folder from svn
- modify the build files to use the jars from the local ivy repo cache

Ross

Re: ivyBuild branch

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: ivyBuild branch

Posted by Brian M Dube <bd...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>> David Crossley wrote:
>>> Now that forrest trunk has moved on to the next development
>>> version (including the xmlformat of all xml files)
>>> we might need to do something with the "ivyBuild" branch.
>>> Does anyone know what should be done?
>> How about I get rid of it and we do the work in trunk?
>
> Yeah i was wondering about that too.

> Anyway let us postpone that discussion until
> next week.

How does the switch to Ivy fit with the other things that were discussed
to happen right after the release? Is the plan to do this in trunk?

Brian

Re: ivyBuild branch

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >Now that forrest trunk has moved on to the next development
> >version (including the xmlformat of all xml files)
> >we might need to do something with the "ivyBuild" branch.
> >Does anyone know what should be done?
>
> How about I get rid of it and we do the work in trunk?

Yeah i was wondering about that too.

> The only reason I created a branch was so that it didn't get in the way
> of 0.8 release cycle.
>
> We could fix the issues raised in testing and go to an ivy build for
> 0.8.1 (or 0.9) pending the discussion on release management.

An Ivy build will not fix all the issues, but i expect
that it will help with some parts of it.

Re: ivyBuild branch

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.