Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com> on 2005/03/31 09:53:43 UTC

[OT] RE: Tomcat Hang on Linux (hangs the entire system)

[Marked off-topic as almost certainly not directly Tomcat-related]

> From: Steve Vanspall [mailto:steve@crmsoftware.com.au]
> My only option is to reboot the machine.
> But it hangs half way and has to be physically powered off.

As others have suggested, this may well be bad RAM - or I've had similar
symptoms with two motherboards (from different manufacturers) that were
OK at low bus speeds but on the edge at specced speed.  The RAM is the
more likely issue.

I suggest downloading and booting with Memtest86+
(http://www.memtest.org/) as a first test.  Plan to leave it running for
several hours.  It will log any errors it finds in the lower part of the
screen.

A second test is to run cpuburn (http://pages.sbcglobal.net/redelm/).
cpuburn itself is a useful test, but I strongly recommend running burnbx
and burnmmx for a few minutes each with each of their 'E' and 'L'
parameters - E and L exercise L2 cache and RAM respectively.  These will
run while the machine is up.  If they exit unexpectedly, or the machine
spontaneously restarts, you've found your culprit!

		- Peter