Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Eric Lee Green <er...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/22 00:51:16 UTC

Upgrade to Cloudstack 4.11.2 fails *AGAIN*

You may remember me as the person who had to roll back to Cloudstack
4.9.x because Cloudstack 4.11.1 wouldn't start any virtual machines once
I upgraded to it, claiming that there were inadequate resources even
though I had over 150 gigabytes of memory free in my cluster and oodles
of CPU free (and a minimum of 40gb on each node, plenty to start a 512mb
router VM). So now I'm trying to upgrade to Cloudstack 4.11.2 and
*again* it's misbehaving.

The symptom is that my virtual routers when I log into their console
show 4.11.2 but when I look at them in the console they say 'Version:
UNKNOWN'. Also when I try to ssh into their guest IP address or link
local IP address it fails. And when I try to start up a virtual machine
that uses that virtual network, it says "Network unavailable', even
though the router for that network is showing up and running.

Clearly something's broken in the virtual routers but I don't know what
because I can't get into the router virtual machines. How do I get the
console password to get into the router virtual machines? It's encrypted
in the database (duh), how do I decrypt it?

Re: Upgrade to Cloudstack 4.11.2 fails *AGAIN*

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
While the VR does not use cloud-init (afaik!), it's worth mentioning that in recent tests with CentOS 7 VMs and cloud-init there were problems when using too low RAM offerings.
In my particular case 512MB turned out to not be enough for cloud-init to execute properly, upgrading the offering "fixed" the issue.

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Posted by Eric Lee Green <er...@gmail.com>.
On 5/21/2019 11:14 PM, Rene Moser wrote:
> Just a suspicion: have you checked, the system VMs actually have
> allocated 512 MB RAM? I remember the systemvm templates had the setting
> to only use 256 MB RAM in previous versions which is too low. IMHO this
> setting must be adjusted manually in the database before the upgrade
> (you can do it while running cloudstack 4.9)

Hmm... during the process of when it was trying to start up the virtual
router, I see this:

 > Trying to allocate a host and storage pools from dc:1,
pod:null,cluster:null, requested cpu: 4000, requested ram: 4294967296

Posted by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net>.

Posted by Eric Lee Green <er...@gmail.com>.
I don't have spare hardware. I work for a small business, i.e., poor,
which is why the hardware is the antiques I listed, it's all basically
other company's garbage sourced from eBay. I tested it on a small
cluster used by QA to test software deployments on various versions of
Windows and Ubuntu Linux, our infrastructure is Centos for historical
reasons, not because there's any real reason to run Centos other than
standardization. We don't release our software until we make sure it
doesn't break anything, that's why we have a QA department (which is
peeved at me now but what else is new). Apparently Red Hat Software
thinks one of them (a QA department) is something that doesn't matter.
(Sorry if I sound annoyed, other people breaking my stuff annoys me). I
can roll things back to an earlier Centos, but it's going to be a major
effort, since I have to reinstall the OS on each of the servers one by
one. (Data lives elsewhere and configuration info is backed up there
nightly, that's not a problem, but we're still talking hours
reinstalling then restoring things from backups where I'd prefer to be
doing something that makes money for the company). Frankly, I'd prefer
to not do that, but if it's the only way to make things work,
downgrading to a insecure version of the OS with multiple known security
vulnerabilities that don't pass our corporate security policy, that's
what I'll do (I wrote the bloody policy, I'll just shut up the security
scanner when it yells and screams at me) . Or just switch to a real
Linux that doesn't break things when security fixes are released, if
such a thing exists, but that's a huge effort too, especially since my
configuration backups wouldn't just slide right in.

SIGH.

Ah well, off to work.

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
Eric,

--

Andrija Panić

Re: Upgrade to Cloudstack 4.11.2 fails *AGAIN*

Posted by Darius Kasparavičius <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

There is no need to get rid of qemu-ev packages. Just downgrade them
to 2.10 and it works fine.

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.

--

Andrija Panić

Re: Upgrade to Cloudstack 4.11.2 fails *AGAIN*

Posted by Eric Lee Green <er...@gmail.com>.
EXCELLENT!

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.

--

Andrija Panić

Re: Upgrade to Cloudstack 4.11.2 fails *AGAIN*

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Eric,

Posted by Eric Lee Green <er...@gmail.com>.
Okay. This makes sense.

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Eric, all,

--

Andrija Panić

Re: Upgrade to Cloudstack 4.11.2 fails *AGAIN*

Posted by Eric Lee Green <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Joseph <th...@gmail.com>.
Hello Eric,

   If the router version is displayed as UNKNOWN in the portal, it would be
a connectivity issue. Check your connections related to firewall rules
between the ACP management hosts, hypervisor and VR.  Is your VR management
network setup correctly?

With regards
Thomas

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Eric,

Based on your shared version details, the specific issue and why it does not work for you has to do with usage of qemu-ev 2.12, which was only recently supported:

The issue has to do with how systemvms are patched by cloudstack-agent using a patching script that no longer works well with qemu-ev 2.12. You can test latest 4.11 or wait until 4.11.3.0 is out that will have support for qemu-ev 2.12 with a new patching mechanism that uses qemu-guest-agent.

Regards,

Rohit Yadav

Software Architect, ShapeBlue

https://www.shapeblue.com

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

Re: Upgrade to Cloudstack 4.11.2 fails *AGAIN*

Posted by Eric Lee Green <er...@gmail.com>.