Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Keith <ke...@netsco.com> on 2001/03/19 20:55:55 UTC

Performance of struts

Hi,
   I am sorry if I offend anyone. I am evaluating struts and notice that the
performance is much lower that if I use string jsp and servlets.
   Has anyone have the same experience as I do? If so, is there any way to
improve the performance?

Thanks!
keith

RE: Performance of struts

Posted by Troy Hart <th...@part.net>.
check orion out... (http://www.orionserver.com/)

Posted by Scott Walter <tx...@yahoo.com>.
In my opinion the performance of Tomcat is pretty
good.  However most j2ee apps servers have very good
performance including weblogic, iplanet, silverstream,
etc.

scott.

=====
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Re: Performance of struts

Posted by James Howe <jw...@allencreek.com>.

Re: Performance of struts

Posted by Maya Muchnik <mm...@pumatech.com>.
I think, it will be slower because you have one central servlet DISPATCHER that
is sending a "job" to different Actions. When you have some JSP that are
sending "job" themselves to other JSP, it is faster. Is it convenient? I think
- no, because a creator JSP does not know java. And change flow, redesign
difficult.
Now, I have this "pie".

Maya

RE: Performance of struts

Posted by Abraham Kang <ab...@infogain.com>.
Keith,

Can you gives some benchmark details and sample code that you ran in your
tests?

--Abraham

RE: Performance of struts

Posted by Robert Taylor <rt...@mulework.com>.
Currently I'm using ServletExec-AS (with Apache) on Win98 and it seems
pretty easy to use and relatively fast. It also has a nice admin interface
for deploying and defining web apps.
You can download it from http://www.servletexec.com/download.jsp. I don't
think you have to enter any information. I believe the only limitation is
that an un-registered version gives you up to 3 concurrent connections. I've
also been able to get Cocoon running pretty easily which I have never been
able to do with Tomcat. I don't have any real metrics to offer though.

>    I am sorry if I offend anyone. I am evaluating struts and notice that
the
> performance is much lower that if I use string jsp and servlets.
>    Has anyone have the same experience as I do? If so, is there any way to
> improve the performance?

Struts based apps (or any app that uses custom tags heavily) are going to
be significantly impacted by the quality of the JSP implementation in your
container.  Which version are you using?  (NOTE:  Tomcat's performance
w.r.t. JSP pages is pretty awful, for example).

> Thanks!
> keith

Craig McClanahan

Re: Performance of struts

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Keith wrote:

> Hi,
>    I am sorry if I offend anyone. I am evaluating struts and notice that the
> performance is much lower that if I use string jsp and servlets.
>    Has anyone have the same experience as I do? If so, is there any way to
> improve the performance?

Struts based apps (or any app that uses custom tags heavily) are going to
be significantly impacted by the quality of the JSP implementation in your
container.  Which version are you using?  (NOTE:  Tomcat's performance
w.r.t. JSP pages is pretty awful, for example).

> Thanks!
> keith

Craig McClanahan