Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by William Pierce <ev...@hotmail.com> on 2009/11/09 21:49:07 UTC

Solr Internal exception on startup...

Folks:

I am encountering an internal exception running solr on an Ubuntu 9.04 box,  running tomcat 6.  I have deposited the solr nightly bits (as of October 7) into the folder: /usr/share/tomcat6/lib

The exception from the log says:

Nov 9, 2009 8:26:13 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext filterStart
SEVERE: Exception starting filter SolrRequestFilter
org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.io.FilePermission /home/ubuntu/apps/solr/tomcatweb/prod/lib read)
        at org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.<init>(SolrDispatchFilter.java:68)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.getFilter(ApplicationFilterConfig.java:255)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.setFilterDef(ApplicationFilterConfig.java:397)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.<init>(ApplicationFilterConfig.java:108)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.filterStart(StandardContext.java:3800)

This is strange because the documentation says that the "lib" folder is optional.  (As a point of reference, I don't have a lib folder for my windows installation).   In any event, I created an empty "lib' folder and I am still getting this same exception.   (I gave the lib folder 777 permission.)

<Context docBase="/usr/share/tomcat6/lib/solr-nightly-10-07-2009.war" debug="0" crossContext="true" >
   <Environment name="solr/home" type="java.lang.String" value="/home/ubuntu/apps/solr/tomcatweb/prod" override="true" />
</Context>

Under the folder /home/ubuntu/apps/solr/tomcatweb/prod are all solr folders (conf, data).

Can anybody help me here with what looks like a basic configuration error on my part?

Thanks,

- Bill