Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2007/04/15 01:06:36 UTC

Re: mainIndex and indexDefaults

Does this mean one of them is going to be deprecated or  does it also
allow for the future case of Solr supporting named indexes per
application?

It also seems that the indexDefaults covers a few more options
related to the lock timeouts.  Are these inherited?

-Grant

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Does this mean one of them is going to be deprecated or  does it also
: allow for the future case of Solr supporting named indexes per
: application?

i'm guessing work to support multiple indexes will probably move in the
direction of each index having it's own solrconfig (i believe the
currently pending patch approaches it this way) because of how many
settings in the solrconfig relate to the way the index is used.

where a distinction between indexDefaults vs mainIndex may come into play
in the future is if someone comes up with an alternate update strategy
then DirectUpdater2 which requires a "temporary" index ... mainIndex will
always refer to the primary on disk index, some new section might refer to
the settings for the temp index, and indexDefaults would be inherited by
each.

(come to think of it, the spellchecker index should probably be defering
to indexDefaults yes/no?)

: It also seems that the indexDefaults covers a few more options
: related to the lock timeouts.  Are these inherited?

i *think* anything in indexDefaults can also be specificed in mainIndex --
and mainIndex inherits every unspecified option from indexDefaults.

: On Mar 31, 2007, at 10:52 AM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
:
: > On 3/31/07, Koji Sekiguchi <ko...@r.email.ne.jp> wrote:
: >> This is a trivial question, but I'm curious about mainIndex and
: >> indexDefaults
: >> in solrconfig.xml.
: >
: > Early on, I had thought that new documents would perhaps be added to a
: > separate in-mem index and merged in to the main index later.  Doug
: > showed an easier way with the snapshot/rsync strategy.
: >
: > -Yonik
:
: