Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com> on 2006/11/24 04:01:42 UTC

JSF Client Side JS Framework Written on Top of Dojo Donation

Hi,

I've created a framework for working
with Javascript on the client side that uses
components similar to those used in JSF.

Initially I was just trying to fix a bug in Dojo, but
then I ended up writing a new client side view
handler, etc.

My original motivation can be found here.

http://trac.dojotoolkit.org/ticket/1378

I would like to donate it to myfaces if there is
interest?

When I did the rewrite I wanted to Dojo Widgets to
support converters, validators, listeners like JSF
does so I built this into the ViewHandler...

Anyways if anyone on the myfaces team wants a look,
I'll be happy to zip it up and mail it.

Cheers,
- Ole

Cheap talk?
http://voice.yahoo.com

Re: JSF Client Side JS Framework Written on Top of Dojo Donation

Posted by Zubin Wadia <zw...@gmail.com>.
Ole,

Good stuff. Let me know if you need a hosting location, we can get that
sorted for you and get it out to the community en masse!

Zubin.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
when he sent me, I'll put it to my apache account.
so everybody has a chance to look at'!

--
Matthias Wessendorf
http://tinyurl.com/fmywh

further stuff:
mail: mwessendorf-at-gmail-dot-com

Re: JSF Client Side JS Framework Written on Top of Dojo Donation

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com>.
Cool - Hope it's helpful :-)

Thanks,
- Ole

http://people.apache.org/~matzew/dojo.presentation.zip

> thx ole
>
> On 11/24/06, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > I won't commit it now.
> > First everybody should look at it ;)
> >
> > -M
> >
> > On 11/24/06, Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > > Cool - Thanks
> > > --- Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>

> <ol...@yahoo.com>

> rejected as

> using
> called it,

> Component
> separate, and

> that

> src/main/test/render/test_visualButton.html

> <ma...@apache.org>

> we

> TrDateTimeRangeValidator.prototype.validate(..)

> in

> ?
> like

> <ol...@yahoo.com>

> that
> JSF.

> bug
> side

> here.
> > > > > > > > >

> http://trac.dojotoolkit.org/ticket/1378

> if

> Dojo
> listeners

> team
> it.

> http://jroller.com/page/mwessendorf

=== message truncated ===

Want to start your own business?
Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index

Re: JSF Client Side JS Framework Written on Top of Dojo Donation

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
It is up

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com>.
Good thinking :-)

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
I won't commit it now.

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com>.
Cool - Thanks

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
worked

(I upload in 1h)

thx

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com>.
OK - Just sent it.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
mwessendorf@gmail.com

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com>.
Matthias,

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
sounds interesting,

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On 11/24/06, Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sounds interesting.
> Do you think it's possible to integrate your components so deeply into
> the MyFaces framework, that a simple "clientside=true" for a single
> standard component or a "all_clientside=true" in the web.xml brings
> your components into the game?
> That would be awesome.
>
> Dojo/Ajax/Web2.0 gurus, what do you think?

I think the "all_clientside=true" is somewhat dangerous, because when
really every component in the page (outputText, outputLabel) requires
a peer, it would slow down the page, since tons of javascript are
needed on the client.

a flag like attribute, name it clienSide or clientComponent would be better.

and still I think there are some components which will always require
a client side component; that can be handled by the renderer, for
instance.

-M

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com>.
Yes - Precisely - So compiling client side custom tags
into JS components that live in the client JS
Container...

So the server side component renderer just needs to
emit one of these tags, and the rest is handled on the
client.

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Interesting! Let's have a look.

regards,

Martin

On 11/24/06, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> > Woha.... interesting stuff, I just have a minor issue with using yet
> > another view handler.
> > Let me look at the stuff first before giving a clear comment on it.
>
> that viewhandler is a js file, from what I see to have a proper
> mapping of client components to server side components
>
> -M
>

> > Cheers
> >
> > Werner
> >

> --
> Matthias Wessendorf
> http://tinyurl.com/fmywh
>
> further stuff:
> mail: mwessendorf-at-gmail-dot-com

--

http://www.irian.at

Your JSF powerhouse -
JSF Consulting, Development and
Courses in English and German

Professional Support for Apache MyFaces

Re: JSF Client Side JS Framework Written on Top of Dojo Donation

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com>.
Manfred,

Sure - I think that should be easy to do.

In addition I suspect that the Implementation could
just check whether Javascript is enabled, and serve
the Javascript components if it is (With Perhaps some
Javascript version support checking).

I've tried to mirror the JSF Spec as much as possible
in the code base, so that developing with the
framework becomes easy for JSF developers.

I also wrote the JSUnit tests so that deducing the
ViewHandler approach should be as simple as possible,
and there is documentation in the src/maven/apt/
folder.

So the general Idea is that the Renderer for the JSF
Components would just render the custom
dojo.presentation tag...the ViewHandler supports
custom namespaces...

Then the ViewHandler compiles this tag on the client
creating the visual representation of the component.
The component can then pull additional content using
XMLRequest...

Components can also be created in Raw Javascript
...giving gui developers the option to develop web
interfaces in a SWING or SWT like fashion.

Matthias has the code now hopefully, so perhaps he can
check it into Subversion for us.

I already have a CLA on file for the directory project
, and I think that covers all of apache.

Cheers,
- Ole

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.
Sounds interesting.