Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jan Vesely <ja...@quinity.com> on 2003/05/13 10:32:19 UTC

SVG or Flash & Batik vs. Linux Tomcat server

Hallo everyone,

I have a question. I want to make a new front end to an internet application
with a J2EE back end. All the database accessing is done in the Java part. I
want to use the new front end only for (interactive) visualisation of my
data (menu's, scalable/zoomable images, clickable links). I might even want
to insert some animations. I do not plan to edit the data in this "pretty
view".

And the question is - what is a better choice in my situation: SVG (either
with or without Batik), Flash, or something else?

And another, smaller question is - I have been playing with generating SVG
with Batik from a Java Servlet. When I installed this small experimental
application on a Windows Tomcat server, all worked well. But when I did the
same on a Linux Tomcat (same version), it did not work (only the SVG part,
the rest worked fine) ... any idea why?

Thanks!

Jan

Re: SVG or Flash & Batik vs. Linux Tomcat server

Posted by Jan Vesely <ja...@quinity.com>.
Thank you all for your help!

Jan

Posted by Thomas E Deweese <th...@kodak.com>.

Posted by Stefan werner <st...@netcologne.de>.
> I have a question. I want to make a new front end to an internet
application
> with a J2EE back end. All the database accessing is done in the Java part.
> want to use the new front end only for (interactive) visualisation of my
> data (menu's, scalable/zoomable images, clickable links). I might even
want
> to insert some animations. I do not plan to edit the data in this "pretty
> view".
>
> And the question is - what is a better choice in my situation: SVG (either
> with or without Batik), Flash, or something else?

about this question.

> And another, smaller question is - I have been playing with generating SVG
> with Batik from a Java Servlet. When I installed this small experimental
> application on a Windows Tomcat server, all worked well. But when I did
the
> same on a Linux Tomcat (same version), it did not work (only the SVG part,
> the rest worked fine) ... any idea why?

May be you do not have X-Server running on your Linux-box?

Stefan