Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Jochen Kuhnle <li...@kuhnle.net> on 2005/07/23 10:11:21 UTC

"Nice" HTML to Text serializer?

Hi,

is there a Serializer that can serialize HTML code to "nicely formatted"
ascii text, e.g. doing line breaks, replacing <ol>s and <ul>s with "1.
item" or "* item", etc.?

If not, does anybody know a component that does this, that I can use to
write a Serializer?

Regards,
Jochen

Re: "Nice" HTML to Text serializer?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Jochen Kuhnle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there a Serializer that can serialize HTML code to "nicely formatted"
> ascii text, e.g. doing line breaks, replacing <ol>s and <ul>s with "1.
> item" or "* item", etc.?
>
> If not, does anybody know a component that does this, that I can use to
> write a Serializer?

In Forrest we have a Test output plugin that does this. As you may know
Forrest is a Cocoon based application so you will have no problem
leveraging the XSLT's etc. from there.

See
http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_70/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.Text/

and to see this page in text see:

http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_70/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.Text/index.txt

If you improve on the stylesheets please be sure to contribute patches
to the Forrest project.

Ross