Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de> on 2019/06/16 19:02:29 UTC

Buildbot and Git

Hi all,

I tried to adapt the buildbot config for JMeter to reflect the git
migration.

The init-svnVersion step has been removed and most of the "got_revision"
properties are replaced by the buildnumber to keep a linear numbering
for the nightlies. The only place were I kept the got_revision property
is the java property for the "svn" version.

So maybe we have nightlies again tomorrow

Felix

Re: Buildbot and Git

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 at 15:25, Felix Schumacher
<fe...@internetallee.de> wrote:

> Am 18.06.19 um 10:28 schrieb sebb:
> > On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 at 07:42, Felix Schumacher
> > <fe...@internetallee.de> wrote:

> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> At the moment the script looks for directories named r{number} where
> >> number was the revision of the subversion repo. I changed the number to
> >> buildnumber (which is way smaller than the revision number). The
> >> directories are sorted by that number. That will cause the new builds to
> >> be at the end of the list. The list gets capped and the entries not
> >> shown -- at least not for the next 30 days or so.
> >>
> >> I wonder if it would be nicer to change the naming scheme from r{number}
> >> to b{number} to indicate that we now use buildnumbers instead of
> >> revisions.
> > That would be simplest.
>
> But sadly not so simple as I thought. The build would have to be done
> with svn.revision set to buildnumber. I don't want to use the
> buildnumber there.
>
> Therefore I have chosen to use both the buildnumber and revision in the
> directory name. The revision can than be extracted from the directory
> name and used for the build artifacts.
>
> I checked in the needed changes for this scheme, but it seems that the
> committing the shell files is not enough to get them on the build servers.
>
> Do you know, what I have to do next?

Don't remember; I suspect Infra may have to restart something.

Re: Buildbot and Git

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.

Re: Buildbot and Git

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
<fe...@internetallee.de> wrote:

> Am 17.06.19 um 21:57 schrieb sebb:
> > On Mon, 17 Jun 2019 at 17:44, Felix Schumacher
> > <fe...@internetallee.de> wrote:

> >> Nightlies are building again (after I removed some svn specific stuff in
> >> the build.xml files and used the correct branch everywhere).
> >>
> >> But the nightlies are not getting indexed. There seems to be shell
> >> script involved named create-jmeter-nightlies-index.sh which might have
> >> to be updated. I don't know, since I don't even know where the sources
> >> for that script are.
> > https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/buildbot/aegis/buildmaster/master1/public_html/projects/jmeter/nightlies
>
> Thanks.
>
> At the moment the script looks for directories named r{number} where
> number was the revision of the subversion repo. I changed the number to
> buildnumber (which is way smaller than the revision number). The
> directories are sorted by that number. That will cause the new builds to
> be at the end of the list. The list gets capped and the entries not
> shown -- at least not for the next 30 days or so.
>
> I wonder if it would be nicer to change the naming scheme from r{number}
> to b{number} to indicate that we now use buildnumbers instead of
> revisions.

That would be simplest.

Re: Buildbot and Git

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.
Am 17.06.19 um 21:57 schrieb sebb:
> On Mon, 17 Jun 2019 at 17:44, Felix Schumacher
> <fe...@internetallee.de> wrote:
>>
>> Am 16.06.19 um 21:02 schrieb Felix Schumacher:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I tried to adapt the buildbot config for JMeter to reflect the git
>>> migration.
>>>
>>> The init-svnVersion step has been removed and most of the "got_revision"
>>> properties are replaced by the buildnumber to keep a linear numbering
>>> for the nightlies. The only place were I kept the got_revision property
>>> is the java property for the "svn" version.
>>>
>>> So maybe we have nightlies again tomorrow
>> Nightlies are building again (after I removed some svn specific stuff in
>> the build.xml files and used the correct branch everywhere).
>>
>> But the nightlies are not getting indexed. There seems to be shell
>> script involved named create-jmeter-nightlies-index.sh which might have
>> to be updated. I don't know, since I don't even know where the sources
>> for that script are.
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/buildbot/aegis/buildmaster/master1/public_html/projects/jmeter/nightlies

Thanks.

At the moment the script looks for directories named r{number} where
number was the revision of the subversion repo. I changed the number to
buildnumber (which is way smaller than the revision number). The
directories are sorted by that number. That will cause the new builds to
be at the end of the list. The list gets capped and the entries not
shown -- at least not for the next 30 days or so.

I wonder if it would be nicer to change the naming scheme from r{number}
to b{number} to indicate that we now use buildnumbers instead of
revisions. Or go wild and use git revisions and sort by file creation
date instead of file name.

What do you think?

Felix

Re: Buildbot and Git