Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Paul McFerrin <pm...@columbus.rr.com> on 2010/09/18 16:56:36 UTC

[users@httpd] "bad system call" errors from apache version 2.2.6 (Unix)

Hello:
During the past few years I have attempted to upgrade my old apache
1.3.22 (cygwin binary distro) to a newer 2.x version.  With EVERY
attempt, I have thrown up my hands because of different problems with
every released version. I noticed within the past year there was a 2.2.6
binary package for cygwin available for downloaded.  I have questioned
the cygwin's mailing list for some help.  All discussions on this list
(2.2.6) have been centered on the questioned of orphaning which is of no
help to me.

Now my problem ...
The package of 2.2.6 on cygwin's site is dated Sep of 2007 which is
prior to official major release of cygwin 1.7.  When I attempt to start
apache I always get the error "bad system call".  No other helpful
information.  I even tried setting LogLevel to "info" and I still get
the same information.  I've tried several options but I need some hints
on debugging.  I first tried to start without modifying original
httpd.conf file.  Same error.  Edited the file to reflect my
configuration: same error.  The -t options reports syntax OK.

If not too difficult, I would like to take one more stab at it before I
give up on another version.  How can I get some more debugging info, if
there is any.

--
	http://genealogy.mcferrin.org/	# McFerrin Family History, Public View