Posted to dev@deltacloud.apache.org by Justin Clift <jc...@redhat.com> on 2011/08/20 16:37:25 UTC

Re: Aeolus 0.3.0 tests (continue)

On 20/08/2011, at 4:05 AM, Michael Solberg wrote:
> ----- Justin Clift <jc...@redhat.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've just run into this in my testing.  Is there any idea what could be
>>> causing this issue and what a possible resolution would be?  I'm able to
>>> provision to EC2 West, but not East.
>>
>> Ouch, as a temporary workaround for EC2 West, try allowing SSH inbound connections on the EC2 West "Security Groups".
>>
>> The steps to do that (with screenshots) are here on an old Getting Started Guide page:
>>
>>  http://www.aeolusproject.org/start_image.html
>>  2. Configure EC2 for SSH connections
>>
>> That's all in the AWS interface.  The other steps on the page, to do with instances and retrieving the private SSH key, are not relevant for Aeolus 0.3.0.
>>
>> Does that help?
>
> I got this working on EC2 West last night with the firewall changes and was
> able to demonstrate Aeolus to a (very impressed, BTW) group of engineers
> today.  I was just curious as to when we'd have EC2 East working again or
> if we might lose connectivity to EC2 West in the same way.

Ouch, I'd actually misread your email, thinking that you were able to provision
to EC2 East, but not EC2 West.

The SSH firewall thing I mentioned is a workaround to something I'd seen (ages
ago) with regions *other* than EC2 East.  Which I'd thought was actually fixed. ;)

Anyway, seeing that EC2 East is being the problem for you, the firewall thing
probably isn't actually relevant. :/  Sorry for the bum steer there.

With AWS, they do seem to be changing instance availability in their regions
quite a lot lately.  EC2 East in particular.

If it's any help, a Deltacloud issue was recently opened regarding improving the
communication of Cloud specific errors:

  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DTACLOUD-62

That would allow Aeolus (and other Deltacloud using things) to then handle this
cloud-platform-under-us-is-changing kind of situation better.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--
Aeolus Community Manager
http://www.aeolusproject.org

Re: Question on image_url

Posted by David Lutterkort <lu...@redhat.com>.
On Wed, 2011-08-24 at 16:11 -0400, Tong Li wrote:
> deltacloud uses haml, in some of the haml file such as
> views/images/index.html.haml, a line of code looks like this
>

> 	= link_to image.id, image_url(image.id)
>
> 	method link_to is defined in url_helper.rb, but I can not find where
> image_url is defined and how it can be made available so that haml file can
> use it. can any one shed some light?

This is part of the magic that rabbit does. When a collection :things is
set up, rabbit creates helpers, that basically amount to the following
Ruby code

        def things_url(params={})
                "/api/foos" + query_params(params)
        end

        def thing_url(id, params={})
            "/api/foos/#{id}" + query_params(params)
        end

        # For every operation OP in the collection that is
        # not :index or :show, e.g. for :destroy
        if OP is member operation
          def OP_thing_url(id, params={})
                foo_url(id, params)
          end
    else
      def OP_thing_url(params={})
        foos_url(params)
      end
    end

    def query_params(params)
      return "" if params.empty?
      "?" + params.keys.map { |k| "#{k}=#{params[k]}" }.join("&")
    end

David

Question on image_url

Posted by Tong Li <li...@us.ibm.com>.
deltacloud uses haml, in some of the haml file such as
views/images/index.html.haml, a line of code looks like this

	= link_to image.id, image_url(image.id)

	method link_to is defined in url_helper.rb, but I can not find where
image_url is defined and how it can be made available so that haml file can
use it. can any one shed some light?

Thanks.

Tong Li
Emerging Technologies & Standards