Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2018/10/12 18:04:22 UTC

Installed - NSIS vs MSI

Re: Installed - NSIS vs MSI

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 8:35 PM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> > All,
> >
> > Does anyone know why we are continuing to use Nullsoft's installer[1]
> > to build Tomcat installers for Windows? It looks like Microsoft's
> > MSI[2] is supported down to Windows 7, which is the latest supported
> > version of their own OSs. Is "backward-compatibility" the only reason
> > to stick with NSIS for now? Or in the past?
>
> Looks like the decision goes back a while and platform compatibility /
> availability was a factor in it being mentioned:
> http://markmail.org/message/oggtvsra5g2xmr23
>
> Once it was mentioned then the fact it was free, easy, small and fast
> were all factors:
> https://tomcat.markmail.org/thread/7p5qfabouhlm6yp2
>
> Looks like Remy created the first version so I'm sure he has better
> insights as it was before my time and I am only going by the archives.

I don't have anything else to add to what is in the commit log. NSIS was
opensource, easy, small, I could add some custom dialogs too (although that
was harder), and that was how it was selected. And also I liked winamp then
(this was not mentioned in the commit log, sorry ...).

+1 to replace it if there's a volunteer.

Rémy

Note: if someone wants the history before early 2006, note that I redid the
Tomcat repository for 6.0 (before then, it was ... mavenized into modules,
but we were of course using Ant and bad IDEs, so it was rather painful) and
you have to look into the archives here:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/archive/

Re: Installed - NSIS vs MSI

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.