Posted to yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Aakash Sharma <as...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/03 23:39:41 UTC

Rookie here

Hello All,

I am trying to make changes to YARN as part of my research project.
Regarding this, I have a few queries from this group:-

1) I wanted to have a feature in YARN such that users can run reducers at
specific nodes. Is such a feature already present in YARN?

2) In order to contribute to the hadoop code base, I forked out a local
github repository from the apache repository. This gave me version 3.2.0,
which I think is the current development version.
If I want to do my changes on the current stable version, i.e. 3.0.3, how
do I do that? I realize this should be a simple git command, but I wanted
to double check before I start digging in to the code.

Thank you very much for reading this email, and I hope to receive some
replies.
Aakash

Re: Rookie here

Posted by Daniel Templeton <da...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
On 8/3/18 4:39 PM, Aakash Sharma wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am trying to make changes to YARN as part of my research project.
> Regarding this, I have a few queries from this group:-
>
> 1) I wanted to have a feature in YARN such that users can run reducers at
> specific nodes. Is such a feature already present in YARN?

YARN supports running any task on a specific node.  The issue is that
the MapReduce application master does not currently offer a way to ask
for it.

> 2) In order to contribute to the hadoop code base, I forked out a local
> github repository from the apache repository. This gave me version 3.2.0,
> which I think is the current development version.
> If I want to do my changes on the current stable version, i.e. 3.0.3, how
> do I do that? I realize this should be a simple git command, but I wanted
> to double check before I start digging in to the code.

All changes should be done against the trunk.  Assuming your changes are
committed, the committer will cherry pick them into the relevant releases.

Daniel