Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Rafal Kedziorski <ra...@polonium.de> on 2001/10/17 22:18:01 UTC

The best way?!

Hallo,

I want use log4j with EJB's and Servlets. For this I would define one DEBUG
class based on Log4j Category, which should contains the same methods like
Log4j Category. e.g.

// for servlets (the same for EJB's)
public BaseServlet extends HttpServlet {
     protected static DEBUG debug = new DEBUG();
}

public class DEBUG {

     DEBUG() {
         // initialize data
     }

     public final static void debug(String message) {
         cat.debug(message);
     }

     public final static void info(String message) {
         cat.info(message);
     }

     public final static void warn(String message) {
         cat.warn(message);
     }
}

DEBUG should be used by all classes and should load own PatternLayout. But
if I call my debug in my log file I see DEBUG.java as caller.

Waht is the best solution for this?

Best Regards,
Rafal

Re: The best way?!

Posted by Rafal Kedziorski <ra...@polonium.de>.
Hallo,

At 14:53 17.10.2001 -0600, you wrote:
>Define a Category with a name "DEBUG".

like

public class DEBUG extends Category {
}

Best Regards,
Rafal

Re: The best way?!

Posted by T Master <tm...@iknowledgeinc.com>.
Define a Category with a name "DEBUG".

Then use that in your code.
Define your own Appender, with PatternLayout too.

Use a config file (xml, or properties based) to load this up.

Example ConsoleAppender with patternlayout.
log4j.appender.DestinationP=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
log4j.appender.DestinationP.Target=System.out
log4j.appender.DestinationP.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.DestinationP.layout.ConversionPattern=%c%m%n