Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Darin Kelkhoff <dk...@materialogic.com> on 2007/03/22 13:48:41 UTC

unexpected conflict merging branch into trunk (after merging trunk into branch)

I'm getting an unexpected conflict when trying to merge from trunk into a
branch, then back into trunk again.  I'll accept that perhaps I'm not using
my branches quite correctly, though I'm following the examples I've seen as
well as I can understand them.

To summarize (a transcript of shell session is below), I've created a branch
as a copy of trunk, then added a file in trunk, then modified and commited
the file in trunk, then merged trunk into the branch, modified the file in
the branch, then tried to merge the branch back into trunk.  This branch
into trunk merger is where the conflict happens.

Maybe there's something obvious that I'm missing, or like I said, maybe I'm
missing some key point in how to manage branches.  Either way, any help
would be greatly appreciated.

> svn --version
svn, version 1.4.2 (r22196)

Transcript which should be able to reproduce this issue:

## First I created a new branch:
> svn copy -m "Creating test branch" svn+ssh://mldev/TRAINING/trunk/ \
      svn+ssh://mldev/TRAINING/branches/test_merge/
Committed revision 223.

## Then, in a working-copy of trunk, I added a new file,
training/trunk> touch myNewFile
training/trunk> svn add myNewFile
A         myNewFile
training/trunk> svn commit -m "Initial checkin" myNewFile
Adding         myNewFile
Transmitting file data .
Committed revision 224.

## Then in trunk I edited that file, and commited it again:
training/trunk> echo "This is added in trunk" >> myNewFile
training/trunk> svn commit -m "Updated in trunk" myNewFile
Sending        myNewFile
Transmitting file data .
Committed revision 225.

## Then, I merged trunk into the new branch:
training/test_merge> svn merge -r 223:225 svn+ssh://mldev/TRAINING/trunk
A    myNewFile
training/test_merge> svn commit -m "Merging trunk r223:225 into
branches/test_merge"
Adding         myNewFile
Committed revision 226.

## Next, I edited the file in the branch, and commited it there:
training/test_merge> echo " added in branches/test_merge " >> myNewFile
training/test_merge> svn commit -m "updated in branch"  myNewFile
Sending        myNewFile
Transmitting file data .
Committed revision 227.

## Finally, I went back to trunk, to merge the branch back into it:
training/trunk> svn merge -r 223:227 \
                    svn+ssh://mldev/TRAINING/branches/test_merge
C    myNewFile

## As noted there, I got a conflict, which seems incorrect.
## Here's what it looks like:
training/trunk> ls -l myNewFile*
-rw-rw-r--  1 dkelkhof group 134 Mar 21 14:26 myNewFile
-rw-rw-r--  1 dkelkhof group   0 Mar 21 14:26 myNewFile.merge-left.r0
-rw-rw-r--  1 dkelkhof group  57 Mar 21 14:26 myNewFile.merge-right.r227
-rw-rw-r--  1 dkelkhof group  26 Mar 21 14:26 myNewFile.working
training/trunk> more myNewFile*
::::::::::::::
myNewFile
::::::::::::::
<<<<<<< .working
This is added in trunk
=======
This is added in trunk
added in branches/test_merge
::::::::::::::
myNewFile.merge-left.r0
::::::::::::::
::::::::::::::
myNewFile.merge-right.r227
::::::::::::::
This is added in trunk
added in branches/test_merge
::::::::::::::
myNewFile.working
::::::::::::::
This is added in trunk

Thanks.

--
Darin Kelkhoff
Programmer/Web Developer

Re: unexpected conflict merging branch into trunk (after merging trunk into branch)

Posted by Kylo Ginsberg <ky...@gmail.com>.
On 3/22/07, Darin Kelkhoff <dk...@materialogic.com> wrote:
> ## Finally, I went back to trunk, to merge the branch back into it:
> training/trunk> svn merge -r 223:227 \
                     svn+ssh://mldev/TRAINING/branches/test_merge
> C    myNewFile

I think you're mis-specifying the first source revision.  E.g. note
that your "left" conflict is pointed at r0, i.e. when the file didn't
exist.  So you're asking the merge to apply as difference a line which
was already in the trunk file.  Hence the conflict.

What if you try specifying the first source revision as the state of
the branch prior to the edits of interest:
training/trunk> svn merge -r 226:227 \
                     svn+ssh://mldev/TRAINING/branches/test_merge

Cheers,
Kylo

Re: unexpected conflict merging branch into trunk (after merging trunk into branch)

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 23, 2007, at 04:02, Méresse Christophe wrote:

>>> merge svn+ssh://mldev/TRAINING/branches/test_merge svn+ssh://mldev/
>>> TRAINING/trunk /path/to/trunk/working/copy
>>>
>>> I might be wrong on the order of the urls, always have to try wether
>>> it's trunk first or branch first :). You might want to use -- dry-
>>> run :)
>>
>> It's correct the way you've written it. It's always merge
>> <FROM_URL> <TO_URL> <WC_PATH>. (merge creates a diff from
>> <FROM_URL> to <TO_URL> and applies it to <WC_PATH>)
>
> Yes, and precisely, it's not correct...
> It should have been:
> svn merge svn+ssh://mldev/TRAINING/trunk svn+ssh://mldev/TRAINING/
> branches/test_merge /path/to/trunk/working/copy
> (svn merge trunk branch trunk_workspace)
>
> as the goal is to merge the branch features on the trunk, so the
> diff must be branch "minus" trunk.

Yes, of course, you're right. Thanks for setting the record straight.

RE: Re: unexpected conflict merging branch into trunk (after merging trunk into branch)

Posted by Méresse Christophe <ch...@nagra.com>.

Regards
Christophe

Re: unexpected conflict merging branch into trunk (after merging trunk into branch)

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

AW: RE: unexpected conflict merging branch into trunk (after merging trunk into branch)

Posted by Felix Gilcher <fe...@exozet.com>.
Hi Darin,

You're doing a wrong merge in the last step.

--------

## Finally, I went back to trunk, to merge the branch back into it:
training/trunk> svn merge -r 223:227 \
                    svn+ssh://mldev/TRAINING/branches/test_merge
C    myNewFile

--------

You're asking to merge all changes that happened in the branch to a trunk working copy. But before, you merged changes from the trunk to the branch, these changes are included in the changesets that you're asking svn to merge, thats where the conflict comes from (these changes are already in the trunk). What you want to do is not "merge all changes from rX to rY that happend in the branch" but "merge all differences that are between the trunk and the branch" (after having merged all changes in the time from branch creation up to now in the branch). So your last command should be something like that:

merge svn+ssh://mldev/TRAINING/branches/test_merge svn+ssh://mldev/TRAINING/trunk /path/to/trunk/working/copy

I might be wrong on the order of the urls, always have to try wether it's trunk first or branch first :). You might want to use --dry-run :)

good luck, hope that clears things up a little.

felix

Darin Kelkhoff <ma...@materialogic.com> schrieb am Donnerstag, 22. März 2007 15:01:

> So what I have done here that svn doesn't know how to handle?  It
> seems like a pretty simple use case, and one that will come up a lot.
>
> Is the answer just that svn's merge capabilities aren't yet strong
> enough to handle this?

Felix Gilcher
Head of IT Development

Exozet Berlin GmbH
Rotherstraße 20
10245 Berlin

RE: unexpected conflict merging branch into trunk (after merging trunk into branch)

Posted by Ch...@qimonda.com.
I sometimes get conflicts when I add a blank line,
or removed a tab on the same line. And yes, this
happens a lot for me.