Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Nishant Kelkar <ni...@gmail.com> on 2015/06/24 10:59:28 UTC

Re: Cloning Hive Trunk: HadoopArchives Dependency Not Found

Hi all,

So I am a beginner to Hive, pardon me if I'm doing something wrong. I
recently cloned the Hive dev trunk (master branch) via Git. I then went
into my IDE (IntelliJ) and started looking around. At first, it resolved a
lot of dependencies. However, after my IDE finished pulling from different
sources, I saw that it was still missing the *HadoopArchives* dependency.

Later on, I was trying to build the hive/ql sub-project with 'mvn clean
compile', but I'm getting the following error:
*---BEGIN---*

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:3.1:compile
(default-compile) on project hive-exec: Compilation failure: Compilation
failure:

[ERROR]
/Users/nishantkelkar/hive/ql/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/hive/ql/exec/DDLTask.java:[213,31]
cannot find symbol

[ERROR] symbol:   class HadoopArchives

[ERROR] location: package org.apache.hadoop.tools

[ERROR]
/Users/nishantkelkar/hive/ql/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/hive/ql/hooks/ATSHook.java:[42,41]
cannot find symbol

[ERROR] symbol:   class TimelineClient

[ERROR] location: package org.apache.hadoop.yarn.client.api

[ERROR]
/Users/nishantkelkar/hive/ql/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/hive/ql/hooks/ATSHook.java:[57,18]
cannot find symbol

[ERROR] symbol:   class TimelineClient

[ERROR] location: class org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.hooks.ATSHook

[ERROR]
/Users/nishantkelkar/hive/ql/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/hive/ql/exec/DDLTask.java:[1351,9]
cannot find symbol

[ERROR] symbol:   class HadoopArchives

[ERROR] location: class org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask

[ERROR]
/Users/nishantkelkar/hive/ql/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/hive/ql/exec/DDLTask.java:[1351,34]
cannot find symbol

[ERROR] symbol:   class HadoopArchives

[ERROR] location: class org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask

[ERROR]
/Users/nishantkelkar/hive/ql/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/hive/ql/hooks/ATSHook.java:[72,26]
cannot find symbol

[ERROR] symbol:   variable TimelineClient

[ERROR] location: class org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.hooks.ATSHook

[ERROR] -> [Help 1]
*---END---*
I looked at the pom.xml, and the following is highlighted in red:

<dependency>
  <groupId>org.apache.hadoop</groupId>
  <artifactId>hadoop-archives</artifactId>
  <version>${hadoop-23.version}</version>
  <optional>true</optional>
</dependency>

This basically means that IntelliJ/Maven was not able to find the
dependency under the Maven repo. I saw the ticket HIVE-9048
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-9048> and HadoopArchives should
be a sub-dependency of the hadoop-tools dependency right?

Here's a copy of the relevant mirrors that I'm using in my settings.xml:

<mirror>

      <id>Conjars</id>

      <mirrorOf>*</mirrorOf>

      <name>US Conjars</name>

      <url>http://conjars.org/repo</url>

</mirror>

<mirror>

      <id>US</id>

      <mirrorOf>central</mirrorOf>

      <name>US Central</name>

      <url>http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2</url>

</mirror>

Does anyone have an idea why this could be happening? I was kind of
expecting just cloning from Git, and running 'mvn clean compile' and seeing
everything pass and build with success.

Best Regards,

Nishant Kelkar

Re: Cloning Hive Trunk: HadoopArchives Dependency Not Found

Posted by Nishant Kelkar <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hmm, so I just ran the same command with 'mvn clean compile -Phadoop-1' and
'mvn clean compile -Phadoop-2' and they seem to work.

Thanks @all! I guess this wasn't an issue. :)

Thanks and Regards,
Nishant Kelkar