Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Gary Clark <gc...@neces.com> on 2015/12/30 15:40:08 UTC

Seeing strange limit

Hello,

I have a multi-node cluster (hadoop 2.6.0) and am seeing the below message causing the hive workflow to fail:

Looking at the hadoop logs I see the below:

45417 [main] ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver  - FAILED: Execution Error, return code -101 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.mr.MapRedTask. GC overhead limit exceeded

I have been running for months without problems. When I removed a large amount of the files from the directory which I was running a query on the query succeeded. It looks like I’m hitting a limit not sure how to remedy this.

Has anybody else seen this problem?

Thanks,
Gary C

RE: Seeing strange limit

Posted by Gary Clark <gc...@neces.com>.
Unfortunately I cannot find mapred.chils.opts in this version:

    <property>
        <name>mapreduce.map.java.opts</name>
        <value>-Xmx1024m -XX:-UseGCOverheadLimit</value>
        <description>Heap-size for child jvms of maps.</description>
    </property>

I’m assuming this is the blighter. Is there a way to measure from the dataset and the query at what size I need to set this limit?

Much Appreciated,
Gary C

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

RE: Seeing strange limit