Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org> on 2013/06/26 13:20:39 UTC

Wicket 7 status

Hi all,

I'd like to discuss where we are with Wicket 7 and what to do next.

At the moment there are just
3<https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20WICKET%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%227.0.0%22%20AND%20status%20in%20(Open%2C%20%22In%20Progress%22%2C%20Reopened)%20ORDER%20BY%20created%20DESC%2C%20summary%20ASC>
tickets
with "Fix Version" 7.0.0.

One <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-5172> of them is about
adding a link for the javadoc at http://wicket.apache.org. Trivial.

Another <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-4951> is about
CDI-1.1. John Sarman is helping here. Thanks!

And the last <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-5184> one is
about the signature of AbstractTree/Model.ofSet(). I don't see a good
solution here, but I have provided a workaround.

In the roadmap page there is also:

Refactor checkgroup/radiogroup to make them non
components<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WICKET/Wicket+7.0+Roadmap#Wicket7.0Roadmap-Refactorcheckgroup%2Fradiogrouptomakethemnoncomponents.>
-
@Igor: do you want to work yourself on this ? Otherwise please give more
details how you imagine the new way.

Make CSS class strings used in the framework
configurable<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WICKET/Wicket+7.0+Roadmap#Wicket7.0Roadmap-Makecssclassstringsusedintheframeworkconfigurable>
-
this one is clear. If there are no objections then I'll pick it soon
(unless someone else does it before me).

I'm going to investigate few tickets about bookmarkable mappers
(MountMapper, MountedMapper, PackageMapper and ResourceMapper) and their
handling of named parameters in the path/segments.

Unless someone has more ideas what can be improved for Wicket 7 I think we
are pretty close to be "feature complete" and we can release a milestone or
release candidate.

I'd like to thank Cedric Gatay, Michael Mossman, Andrea Del Bene and John
Sarman for their help so far!

Re: Wicket 7 status

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
i may be able to help here. ive recently written a descent polling
panel we use to execute long-running sql queries. its not async in the
sense that it does not work via servlet 3 async requests - it polls
with ajax. but, unlike lazyloadpanel we have now this one doesnt block
access to the page, and has some rudimentary job management. i will
see if i can open source it...

-igor

Re: Wicket 7 status

Posted by Nick Pratt <nb...@gmail.com>.

Re: Wicket 7 status

Posted by Bertrand Guay-Paquet <be...@step.polymtl.ca>.
Hello,

I know this is not on the roadmap right now, but I wanted to bring up
one feature from the wishlist which I recently updated. From the wiki:

Better stateless support

     add more stateless components (stateless versions of existing
components)
     adopt Ajax stateless behaviors (allow stateless ajax behavior
listeners)

In Wicket 6, any behavior implementing IBehaviorListener becomes
stateful. This includes all subclasses of AbstractAjaxBehavior.
Overriding this behavior by making getStatelessHint() return true for an
ajax behavior with a listener interface is tricky. The listener's url
cannot be assumed to be stable unless the number and order of behaviors
added to components does not change between the page creation and the
ajax request.

Now, some background. Recently, I've built a mechanism for building
"guided tours" of my website. It's essentially a server-side version of
http://bootstraptour.com/ which localizes the content and handles
navigating from one Wicket page to another during  the tour. My approach
was to "inject" an ajax behavior (with next, prev links) to a page when
it is part of a currently active tour. This behavior takes care of
rendering the popovers and handling the tour navigation ajax callbacks.
I use an IComponentInstantiationListener which checks if the current
page is part of a tour and adds the ajax behavior.

This works very well, but a stateless page which is part of a tour
automatically becomes stateful when adding the behavior. Also, consider
a component on a site's front page which loads the latest 5 entries from
a database (think message board) and refreshes itself every 10 seconds.
To keep the page stateless, which is desirable I believe in many cases,
you'd have to use another mechanism (json resource with hand-built html
to display it, etc.) but you could not use only Wicket components and
behaviors.

I understand that perhaps no one is available or interested to work on
the "stateless ajax" issue. I also know that it is not trivial at all,
especially when we consider component replacement in pages. I simply
wanted to restate that this type of feature could be major for Wicket.
There have been many posts on the mailing list regarding stateless pages
and ajax.

Regards,
Bertrand

Re: Wicket 7 status

Posted by Cedric Gatay <ga...@gmail.com>.
TurboLinks looks really cool, I think it could be a nice thing to have in
Wicket for applications targeting recent web browsers.

__
Cedric Gatay (@Cedric_Gatay <http://twitter.com/Cedric_Gatay>)
http://code-troopers.com | http://www.bloggure.info | http://cedric.gatay.fr

Re: Wicket 7 status

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Wicket 7 status

Re: Wicket 7 status

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WICKET/Wicket+7.0+Roadmap#Wicket7.0Roadmap-Votewhichexperimentalmodulesshouldbecomestable

Re: Wicket 7 status

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Wicket 7 status

Posted by John Sarman <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 1:29 PM, Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 4:20 AM, Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'd like to discuss where we are with Wicket 7 and what to do next.
> >
> > At the moment there are just
> > 3<
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20WICKET%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%227.0.0%22%20AND%20status%20in%20(Open%2C%20%22In%20Progress%22%2C%20Reopened)%20ORDER%20BY%20created%20DESC%2C%20summary%20ASC
> >
> > tickets
> > with "Fix Version" 7.0.0.
> >
> > One <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-5172> of them is about
> > adding a link for the javadoc at http://wicket.apache.org. Trivial.
> >
> > Another <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-4951> is about
> > CDI-1.1. John Sarman is helping here. Thanks!
>
> i havent had time to keep up with this, be sure we do not lock
> ourselves into weld...

It is split into wicket-cdi-1.1-core and wicket-cdi-1.1-weld.

Re: Wicket 7 status

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

About stateless ajax behaviors - the Jolira components and behaviors have
been moved to WicketStuff (
https://github.com/wicketstuff/core/tree/master/jdk-1.6-parent/stateless-parent)
since two releases. There were two Pull Requests already.

Use them, extend them, polish them and at some point we may vote to merge
them in Apache Wicket ;-)

Re: Wicket 7 status

Posted by Cedric Gatay <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Wicket 7 status

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: Wicket 7 status

Posted by Sebastien <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Martin,

Thanks very much for this answer. Well then, in my own point of view,
that's fine like you described...

Best regards,
Sebastien.

Re: Wicket 7 status