Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> on 2002/07/25 20:46:57 UTC

Re: Problem retting 0.14.0 from tags branch

Jeff Putsch <pu...@mxim.com> writes:
> I'm attempting to use an earlier copy (r2590 i believe) to checkout 0.14.0
> from the tags branch. When I do, I get this:
>
>    $ svn co http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/tags/0.14.0 Subversion
>    A ...  (lots of A lines)
>    Checked out revision 2711.
>
>    svn_error: #21038 : <Obstructed update>
>      revison 2712 doesn't match existing revision 2711 in '0.14.0'
>
> This does not seem right to me.

It's certainly not right :-).  Does it reproduce with an up-to-date
client?  Did you already have a directory named Subversion there, by
chance?  Can you GDB in and see what's throwing the error?

-K

Re: Problem retting 0.14.0 from tags branch

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Jeff Putsch <pu...@mxim.com> writes:

> > > I'm attempting to use an earlier copy (r2590 i believe) to checkout 0.14.0
> > > from the tags branch. When I do, I get this:
> > >
> > >    $ svn co http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/tags/0.14.0 Subversion

Well, that explains it.  You had an older client that still expected
'-d'.

Your client interpreted your checkout command as "get http://..., then
get Subversion", i.e. two separate fetches.  The first fetch
succeeded.  The second fetch was an attempt to retrieve ae nonsensical
URL.

Re: Problem retting 0.14.0 from tags branch

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Jeff Putsch <pu...@mxim.com> writes:
> version. It is more up-to-date than the version I'm running now and I have
> a perception (possibly mis-guided) that the head of the trunk is not
> necessarily as stable as the tagged versions.

You should pretty much always go with the head of trunk.  If you
report a bug based on anything but that, and the bug isn't immediately
obvious, people will generally ask you to try again with head and see
if it still happens.

Re: Problem retting 0.14.0 from tags branch

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Jeff Putsch <pu...@mxim.com> writes:

> Because I don't want the latest version right now :) I want the
> "Alpha" release version. It is more up-to-date than the version I'm
> running now and I have a perception (possibly mis-guided) that the
> head of the trunk is not necessarily as stable as the tagged
> versions.

That's true of final released software.  That is, I'd always prefer
the 1.0 tag to the 1.1-development "trunk".

But svn's trunk is having bugs fixed on a daily basis.  We're not yet
in that magical 1.0 bug-free zone.  It's changing way too fast, and
almost universally for the better.  We've finally managed to freeze
features, but most of the features are still buggy.  I can almost
*guarantee* that HEAD will be the least buggy of any previous
revision.

Re: Problem retting 0.14.0 from tags branch

Posted by Jeff Putsch <pu...@mxim.com>.
On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 04:59:20PM -0500, Karl Fogel wrote:
> Jeff Putsch <pu...@mxim.com> writes:
> If you're trying to get an up-to-date client, why are you checking out
> a tag instead of the head of trunk? :-)
>
> Just do
>
>    svn co http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk
>
> to get the latest, always.

Yes I *know* that, but to answer why I'm checking out a tag...

Because I don't want the latest version right now :) I want the "Alpha" release
version. It is more up-to-date than the version I'm running now and I have
a perception (possibly mis-guided) that the head of the trunk is not
necessarily as stable as the tagged versions.

Jeff.
--
Jeff Putsch                       Email: putsch@mxim.com
Maxim Integrated Products        Office: (503)547-2037

Re: Problem retting 0.14.0 from tags branch

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.

Posted by Jeff Putsch <pu...@mxim.com>.
On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 03:46:57PM -0500, Karl Fogel wrote:
> Jeff Putsch <pu...@mxim.com> writes:
> > I'm attempting to use an earlier copy (r2590 i believe) to checkout 0.14.0
> > from the tags branch. When I do, I get this:
> >
> >    $ svn co http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/tags/0.14.0 Subversion
> >    A ...  (lots of A lines)
> >    Checked out revision 2711.
> >
> >    svn_error: #21038 : <Obstructed update>
> >      revison 2712 doesn't match existing revision 2711 in '0.14.0'
> >
> > This does not seem right to me.
>
> It's certainly not right :-).  Does it reproduce with an up-to-date
> client?

I'm trying to get an up-to-date client, hence the check-out :)

> Did you already have a directory named Subversion there, by
> chance?

No. And to make it more interesting it did not create a Subversion directory,
but checked out into a 0.14.0 directory. Running as

  svn co http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/tags/0.14.0 -d Subversion

does checkout to a "Subversion" directory. Perhaps a change in behavior
between an older client and the newer one (the old one needs -d, the new
one doesn't) that is reflected in the current web pages. I'm not complaining,
if the current web pages reflect the current client, that is a good thing.

> Can you GDB in and see what's throwing the error?

I just tried, and while running under gdb I got no error. So I ran

  svn co http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/tags/0.14.0 -d Subversion

not under gdb and got no error (writing to Sun's tmpfs). So I ran

  svn co http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/tags/0.14.0 Subversion

not under gdb and got the error (writing to Sun's tmpfs) and the
checkout was to 0.14.0. Perhaps the missing '-d' is confusing this old
client.

Jeff.