Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com> on 2010/11/04 14:56:20 UTC

Is there a GOOD AJP-based cluster reference?

I've googled and not found anything very helpful, particularly nothing
recent.

I am trying to set up AJP load balancing using Apache 2.2.17 to Tomcat
6.0.29.

I'd like to route root to the Tomcat named context (not root).  From the
docs I've read so far, I should be able to, but all the references in
the returned html have the context name stuck at the beginning of the
path, and I can't seem to get it to go away.

I know I can just rename the context as ROOT, but I thought I'd try
deploying it the way the dev team gives it to me.

I've tried:

     ProxyPass / balancer://mycluster/context

    <Proxy balancer=//mycluster>

         BalancerMember ajp://hostname:8009

    </Proxy>

and

     ProxyPass / balancer://mycluster

    <Proxy balancer=//mycluster>

         BalancerMember ajp://hostname:8009/context

    </Proxy>

Nothing seems to be working.  Obviously, I'm not clear on some concept.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

p.s. Don't send me to the Tomcat & Apache docs, I've read them.

Jeffrey W. Janner            e-mail: Jeffrey.Janner@PolyDyne.com
<ma...@PolyDyne.com>
PolyDyne Software Inc.          web: http://www.polydyne.com/
<http://www.polydyne.com/>
9390 Research Blvd.           phone: (512) 343-9100 x8930
Building 1, Suite 400           fax: (512) 343-9297
Austin, TX 78759

Confidentiality Notice:  This Transmission (including any attachments) may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately reply to the sender or telephone (512) 343-9100 and delete this transmission from your system.

Re: Is there a GOOD AJP-based cluster reference?

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 04/11/2010 20:12, Jeffrey Janner wrote:
> Notice I don't have any ProxyPassReverse lines.  From reading the docs,
> I'm not sure they are needed for AJP proxying.

Check the value of the path attribute, in Set-Cookie: header when a
session is created.

Re: Is there a GOOD AJP-based cluster reference?

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 04.11.2010 21:24, Mark Eggers wrote:
> Interesting.
>
> I'll have to try something similar for my situation.
>
> What I'm trying to do is a bit of the reverse. I want
> hostname:80/tomcat-host/manager to end up at (tomcat-host) /manager for four
> different tomcat hosts. The forward stuff works fine, but the URLs coming back
> all drop the tomcat-host part.
>
> I guess reading some more documentation is in order.

Some things are collected at

http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/generic_howto/proxy.html#URL%20Rewriting

Don't overlook the pointers for mod_proxy_html, mod_substitute and mod_sed.

Most of the steps are simplified by mod_proxy using ProxyPass,
ProxyPassReverse and ProxyPassReverseCookiePath, all documented at

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy.html

If the response content contains URLs to fix and you can't get them
fixed on the webapp side, then mod_substitue, mod_proxy_html or mod_sed
can help changing the content on the fly. Of course this can get tedious
if the links in the content are hard to find (and also needs some CPU
resources).

Regards,

Rainer

Re: Is there a GOOD AJP-based cluster reference?

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com>.
Interesting.

I'll have to try something similar for my situation.

What I'm trying to do is a bit of the reverse. I want
hostname:80/tomcat-host/manager to end up at (tomcat-host) /manager for four
different tomcat hosts. The forward stuff works fine, but the URLs coming back
all drop the tomcat-host part.

I guess reading some more documentation is in order.

Glad you got it working without the reversproxy stuff.

/mde/

Posted by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>.

Posted by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>.
That's what I'm doing now Pid.
Not sure if that's helping much since it seemed to work the other way
round also.  Switching the order still showed the same apparent
behavior.
See my response to Mark Eggers about how I've got it working right now.
I'd love to get any more input from you if there is an issue on that
configuration.
Jeff

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.