Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Henning Blohm <he...@zfabrik.de> on 2011/10/27 11:58:22 UTC

hanging map reduce processes

Hi,

found that several people have run into this issue, but I was not able
to find a solution yet.

We have reduce tasks that leave a hanging "child" process. The
implementation uses a lot of third party stuff and leave Timer threads
running (as you can readily see in thread dumps). Which is bad style -
no doubt. But eventually we don't really care - when the reduce is done,
its done and the process should be really just killed rather than
hanging around and eventually impacting the cluster.

Is there a way to force killing of child processes, e.g. based on job
configuration?

Thanks,
   Henning

Re: hanging map reduce processes

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hey Henning,

What version of Hadoop are you running, and can we have a dumbed down
sample to reproduce?

--
Harsh J