Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com> on 2011/07/05 18:27:39 UTC

Migration, Bugzilla to JIRA

I'd like to help move this discussion forward.  I'm not perceiving any
*strong* opinions on the Bugzilla versus JIRA question.  But I am
hearing several suggest that JIRA is a better tracker (custom
dashboards in particular were called out).  Bugzilla got some nods for
the ease of migration and the customization done to the OOo version.

I'd like to explore the technical feasibility of migrating to JIRA.

I see this page here describing the migration from JIRA's perspective:

http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/tour/bugzilla-importer.jsp

This appears to require db admin credentials.

Does anyone have experience doing this kind of migration?

And from the project perspective, I assume we want to migrate all
issues, old, new, open closed, everything?  And we must preserve IDs.
Any other constraints?

-Rob

Re: Migration, Bugzilla to JIRA

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.
Just to update on this:
- I have been discussing this with Raphael
- I'm generating current backups of the bz database from OOo
- I'm looking for a place to share an older version of the bz backup -
it's around 10GB
- I am also looking to provide the bz templates

Andrew

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 05.07.11 19:37, schrieb Dave Fisher:
>>
>> Mark Thomas is the person on the Apache Infrastructure group who stepped
>> up as the contact when I asked infrastructure if they had an opinion in our
>> first few days.
>>
>> Would someone remind us of the contacts on the current OOo bugzilla
>> infrastructure. Are these the same contacts to for the MediaWiki?
>
> Andrew Rist is the contact person for all the kenai stuff. but not for the
> http://*.services.openoffice.org websites. I have always contact to him, and
> drop a mail about the status of the bugzilla migration on the infra list
> too.
>>
>> Mark wanted to know about the overall size and also the underlying
>> database. Someone who will carry out these first tests should make contact
>> and start planning with Apache Infrastructure.
>
> The database dump is ~11 GB
>
> I collect de data about the BZ migration on
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Bugtracking+migration

OK.  Thanks.  As you make progress on this, please post a note to the
list occasionally, letting us all know how it is going, and where you
need help (if you need help).  I did not hear anything regarding
Bugzilla on the list for quite a while.  But it looks like you are
making progress.

-Rob

Posted by Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Mark Thomas is the person on the Apache Infrastructure group who stepped up as the contact when I asked infrastructure if they had an opinion in our first few days.

Would someone remind us of the contacts on the current OOo bugzilla infrastructure. Are these the same contacts to for the MediaWiki?

Mark wanted to know about the overall size and also the underlying database. Someone who will carry out these first tests should make contact and start planning with Apache Infrastructure.

I know Raphael has been working on the bugzilla issue along with other inventory of openoffice domains.

From what I've read on the list the bugzilla customizations are mostly in front in order to guide component selection. Something that others have doubted as being useful. To me that it was done means that it was probably perceived as useful at one time.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 05.07.11 19:12, schrieb Rob Weir:

>>> Let's wait a little bit longer. The OOo Bugzilla is adapted in same case
>>> the project. First I'like to have a database dump and the used bugzilla
>>> templates. So we can find out the difference between normal Bugzilla and
>>> the
>>> OOo Bugzilla. And If we realy want to mofe to JIRA then we should first
>>> evaluate the possible problem Areas.
>>>
>> Is this something that you are working on?
>>
>> Right now, I'm only exploring feasibility, what is possible.  If we
>> find that migration to JIRA is feasible, then I'd propose going ahead
>> with it.  But now I am exploring.  But I think this is something that
>> we can do quickly.  It is one of the easier areas to migrate.
>
> Yes, I working on this at the moment
>
>>> For my point of view it's not a good idea to setup now all tools. Else we
>>> will maybe run in the problem, that we can't import the old data.
>>>
>> Our notes crossed, but did you see the my idea of migrating first to a
>> clean, uncustomized Bugzilla, and then from there to JIRA?
>
> No, our Bugzilla is adapted cause the normal bugzilla does not cover all of
> our needs. So we have to look first if JIRA cover's all our needs. It's not
> a good Idea to make a desidation about a tool without know, what's our
> feature request. (Oh, this tool looks great, let's take this one)

Are these special needs documented someplace?

> Bugzilla to Bugzilla sould be not a problem, if we can take over the
> adaptions for the OOo Bugzilla

This will probably depend on the nature of the adaptions.  Is it just
UI?  Or does it have DB implications? Is there someone on the project
today who maintains the customizations, so, for example, they can be
updated when we update JIRA?  Or who can fix something if a browser
update breaks it?

> Bugzilla to JIRA.
>
> If we like to move to JIRA we should check the flowing first:
>
> * Cover JIRA all our Features wich we have in Bugzilla?

What is actually required versus what is "nice to have"?   I don't
think that we necessarily must have something identical to what was in
the previous OOo installation. I could be proven wrong, but that would
require at least some discussion of what Bugzilla does that is: 1) Not
doable in JIRA, 2) Cannot be added via customization in JIRA and 3) Is
actually necessary for the project.

> * Has JIRA the same or better performance?
> * How we migrate from Bugzilla to JIRA? Works the migrations tools fine etc.
> Remember, migrations tools can easely fail, if a tool is adapted. Therefor
> we have to test it first, and maybe we have to adapt it.

That's why I was suggesting that we migrate to vanilla, uncustomized
Bugzilla first.  That is more likely to migrate to JIRA without
problems.

Posted by Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch>.

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Rob,

Rob Weir schrieb:
[..]

> And from the project perspective, I assume we want to migrate all
> issues, old, new, open closed, everything?  And we must preserve IDs.
> Any other constraints?

"Everything" must include the attachments. The attachments do not only
contain a lot of documents and patches (which both are likely outdated),
but also explanations to the code, which are still relevant. And I see
no way to distinguish between them automatically.

Kind regards
Regina

Re: Migration, Bugzilla to JIRA

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 05/07/2011 18:07, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Pedro F. Giffuni <gi...@tutopia.com> wrote:
>>
>> --- On Tue, 7/5/11, Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I'd like to explore the technical feasibility of migrating
>>> to JIRA.
>>>

>> +1
>>
>>> I see this page here describing the migration from JIRA's
>>> perspective:
>>>
>>> http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/tour/bugzilla-importer.jsp
>>>
>>> This appears to require db admin credentials.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have experience doing this kind of migration?
>>>

>> I am sure infra@ has the experience.
>>

> OK.  cc'ing infrastructure.

We do, for migration of bugzilla instances that use a standard data
structure. The OOo modifications extend to changes in the underlying
data model. The chances of that data migrating correctly are close to zero.

>> I can't find it in the archives but someone in the list
>> offered to make available the bugzilla archive. We should
>> probably just make an experimental conversion and keep it
>> if things go well.
>>

> How does that help?  The JIRA import feature seems to operate on the
> live Bugzilla instance, or at least the live database.  I can see that
> doing a migration over the internet would be slow and possible prone
> to time out errors.  I suspect there are a variety of approaches
> possible:
>
> Would it be unnecessarily complex to do a Bugzilla dump, import to a
> temporary Apache Bugzilla instance, then import into to the real
> Apache OOo JIRA instance?  Advantages are if we need to redo the JIRA
> conversion due to problems, we can iterate on that step much faster.
> It is also an opportunity to ensure we're starting (hopefully) from
> the latest stable Bugzilla rev, which may migrate easier.

The live migration is a one-time deal. We can do test migrations, but
once users start adding new data to the migrated instance there is no
scope for going back and re-migrating the data. Things can be fixed at
the database level but that is very much the exception rather than the rule.

OOo is currently using a modified Bugzilla 3.2.10. 3.2.x is EOL and is
no longer supported. As an absolute minimum, this would need upgrading
to 3.4.x to be hosted as a live bug tracker at the ASF. If it were just
used as a non-public intermediate step, no upgrade would be required.

The two current ASF Bugzilla instances are using Bugzilla 4.0.0 with a
very small number of local code changes and no database changes. If OOo
selects Bugzilla, then the expectation is that the OOo BZ instance would
be aligned to the other instances, i.e. 4.0.x with the bare minimum of
local code changes. (You can modify the templates as much as you like.)

As an aside, if any upgrades are required for Bugzilla (either as part
of the migration or if OOo selects Bugzilla as the issue tracker) and if
the OOo modifications to Bugzilla are non-trivial to apply as Bugzilla
is upgraded, then the OOo community will be expected to chip in and help
with the migration.

Mark

Re: Migration, Bugzilla to JIRA

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Pedro F. Giffuni <gi...@tutopia.com> wrote:

> --- On Tue, 7/5/11, Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com> wrote:
>

>> I'd like to explore the technical feasibility of migrating
>> to JIRA.
>>

> +1
>
>> I see this page here describing the migration from JIRA's
>> perspective:
>>
>> http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/tour/bugzilla-importer.jsp
>>
>> This appears to require db admin credentials.
>>
>> Does anyone have experience doing this kind of migration?
>>

> I am sure infra@ has the experience.

OK.  cc'ing infrastructure.

> I can't find it in the archives but someone in the list
> offered to make available the bugzilla archive. We should
> probably just make an experimental conversion and keep it
> if things go well.

How does that help?  The JIRA import feature seems to operate on the
live Bugzilla instance, or at least the live database.  I can see that
doing a migration over the internet would be slow and possible prone
to time out errors.  I suspect there are a variety of approaches
possible:

Would it be unnecessarily complex to do a Bugzilla dump, import to a
temporary Apache Bugzilla instance, then import into to the real
Apache OOo JIRA instance?  Advantages are if we need to redo the JIRA
conversion due to problems, we can iterate on that step much faster.
It is also an opportunity to ensure we're starting (hopefully) from
the latest stable Bugzilla rev, which may migrate easier.

>> And from the project perspective, I assume we want to
>> migrate all issues, old, new, open closed, everything?
>> And we must preserve IDs.
>
> The priority is new open, but the most we can preserve
> the better. I would expect all the code in there is
> covered by the grant too, so we are probably getting a
> lot of code that was initially rejected but is part of
> some unnamed forks.

Good point on the patches.

-Rob

Posted by "Pedro F. Giffuni" <gi...@tutopia.com>.
--- On Tue, 7/5/11, Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com> wrote:

> I'd like to explore the technical feasibility of migrating
> to JIRA.

+1