Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jimmy Stewpot <ma...@oranged.to> on 2010/07/14 08:19:18 UTC

spamassassin with dcc not appearing to work

Hi There,

I am currently trying to implement DCC on a small email server to test how effective it may be. Unfortunately I have been unable to get any results and it appears that its just simply not working.

I have the following lines in my configuration for spamassassin

use_dcc 1
dcc_path /usr/bin
dcc_dccifd_path [127.0.0.1]:38681
dcc_home /var/lib/dcc

With the plugin definitely being enabled when I do a --lint I get the following

Jul 14 02:48:04.529 [23120] dbg: plugin: loading Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::DCC from @INC

I know that with lint it does no network based tests (local only) but I still don't seem to have any success.

I also added the following lines to the configuration and it made no difference.

add_header  all DCC _DCCB_: _DCCR_

I still don't see any header information reporting DCC..

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Regards,

Jimmy.

Re: spamassassin with dcc not appearing to work

Posted by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net>.
On 7/14/10 2:19 AM, Jimmy Stewpot wrote:
> Hi There,
>
> I am currently trying to implement DCC on a small email server to test how effective it may be. Unfortunately I have been unable to get any results and it appears that its just simply not working.
>
> I have the following lines in my configuration for spamassassin
>

> use_dcc 1
> dcc_path /usr/bin
> dcc_dccifd_path [127.0.0.1]:38681
>
> dcc_home /var/lib/dcc

you only need dccifd if you run the dccd daemon, and its a unix socket
*by default.  so try to use that, something, usually like:
/var/run/dccifd.

if you don't have dccd running, SA will call (I forget) some other
program on each email.

does dcc itself connect?  are you running a recent version of dcc? old
version won't connect with the public folders. checked firewall?

to see if dcc works, type:

cdcc info

and see if you are connecting to a dcc server.

and as a reminder, dcc doesn't test for spam or not spam, just bulk vs
non bulk, and the OPTIONAL  reputation filter service also gives you the
percentage of bulk on the connecting ip.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
Phone: 561-999-5000, x 1259
 > *| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Certified SNORT Integrator
    * Best in Email Security,2010: Network Products Guide
    * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008

Re: spamassassin with dcc not appearing to work

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 06:19 +0000, Jimmy Stewpot wrote:
> I am currently trying to implement DCC on a small email server to test
> how effective it may be. Unfortunately I have been unable to get any
> results and it appears that its just simply not working.

> I also added the following lines to the configuration and it made no
> difference.
>
> add_header  all DCC _DCCB_: _DCCR_
>
> I still don't see any header information reporting DCC..

There is no X-Spam-DCC header? If you're using spamd, you forgot to
restart the daemon. That option will add the header regardless.

If you are using glue other than spamd, like Amavis, did you restart
that? FWIW, Amavis adds its own headers, the above SA configuration is
ignored.

A --lint run (without -D debugging) does return cleanly, with no
warnings, right?