Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Edward Barrow <ed...@copyweb.co.uk> on 2004/11/09 09:39:43 UTC

[OT] Re: hide source of a page

On Tuesday 9 November 2004 07:36, Steven J. Owens wrote:
>      If anybody ever figures out a truly effective safeguard against
> this (which would be at least equivalent, in terms of mathematical
> creativity, to public/private key encryption), we'll see some really
> radical changes.

It's a special case of the generic strong-DRM problem, which I postulate is
demonstrably insoluble if the (untrusted) end-user controls the code that
runs on his machines. Rightsholder groups would like to outlaw machinery
which affords end-users this freedom; the open-source movement protects it.
In any case, a business model which requires that you distrust your customers
is, in my view, fundamentally flawed.

--
Edward Barrow
Copyright Consultant