Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Oleg Dulin <du...@olegdulin.com> on 2003/10/16 16:24:45 UTC

Re: Custom Generator or Logicsheet (or something else)?

> 1) Logicsheet. Create a custom logicsheet which wraps calls to the
> existing class library. Then write generators in XSP.
>
> 2) Custom Generators. Code generator(s) which will accept sitemap
> parameters for filtering what data is needed.
>
> 3) Aggregate. Pull in our application data further down the pipeline
>
> Logicsheets seem more flexible, but I'm aware that the API will become
> very extensive over time, and I'm not sure if this approach will scale.
> The concern with aggregating is performance.

Actually what makes sense in applications like this is writing a custom
action in XSP first. Actions give you more flexibility than XSP
generators because they are executed before the pipeline is and they
allow you to process requests before the generators are invoked. But it
is up to you depending on what you need to do.

XSPs scale just fine. You can start with an XSP. As it becomes too
complex, you can inspect the generated code and copy/paste it into a
custom action/generator, etc. and create a custom generator.

Kind regards,
Oleg