Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2003/10/01 04:09:26 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Multiple Names for site

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Peter Fleck wrote:
> This is the documentation I was referring to:
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#virtualhost
>
> <VirtualHost addr [: port ] [ addr [: port ]]     ...>
>
> where 'addr' can be "A fully qualified domain name for the IP address
> of the  virtual host;
>
> Looks to me like that's what I did:
>
> <VirtualHost www.cancer.umn.edu octopus.cancer.umn.edu>
>
> And it seems to be working for both domains.
>
> Is one method better than the other?

Yes.  As the docs in the "see also" section of the VirtualHost directive
docs say, you should be using the IP address or "*" to match all IP
addresses.

If you put in a hostname, apache simply looks up the ip address
corresponding to that hostname and uses that.  This leads to unnecessary
DNS dependencies.  See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/dns-caveats.html

Joshua.